Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep JK growl noise on startup

Old 12-25-2017, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep JK growl noise on startup

Hello, I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler with just over 11K miles. It has been making a growling noise when you start the vehicle for the first time in the morning about 10-20 seconds after it is started. It sounds like it is coming from the oil pan as I can feel the vibration through the oil pan (that matches the audio) when I crawl under the jeep. The sound lasts between 10 seconds and a minute and then goes away and doesn’t come back. To me, it sounds like the pump on initial start up before it makes the noise is pumping oil to the top of the motor but then has less to pump by the time the noise happens and this causes the change in note/sound, then a few seconds later the oil is returning from the other parts of the motor and this stops the noise as the pump has sufficient volume. I change the oil every 3K miles and use 5w20 Pennzoil Synthetic oil with a Mopar filter. I appreciate any thoughts on what it might be so I can talk intelligently to the service department. Here is the link to the video of it happening. Thank you, Doug
Old 12-25-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like my 2013 (supercharged with catch can)?

Not saying everything is fine, however does not sound too bad to me. I would check your oil filter "O" RIngs, and the bypass valve spring (sometimes pops of); replacements are available now for cheap. See this video RE: bypass valve spring:

You have probably already checked the oil level cold and after start-up. I would also use an OBD scanner like a ScanGauge to check the oil pressure and temp. If everything is normal and there are no codes maybe it's just a very cold start?
Old 12-25-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hard to tell which noise your referring to. One noise I thought I heard was a rattling skid plate and the other was a loud pulley of some sort!

A few buddies have loud pulleys with their 3.6’s. Doesn't seem like you should at only 11k miles. I doubt it’s a water pump or power steering pump issue.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Swgeek
Hello, I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler with just over 11K miles. It has been making a growling noise when you start the vehicle for the first time in the morning about 10-20 seconds after it is started. It sounds like it is coming from the oil pan as I can feel the vibration through the oil pan (that matches the audio) when I crawl under the jeep. The sound lasts between 10 seconds and a minute and then goes away and doesn’t come back. To me, it sounds like the pump on initial start up before it makes the noise is pumping oil to the top of the motor but then has less to pump by the time the noise happens and this causes the change in note/sound, then a few seconds later the oil is returning from the other parts of the motor and this stops the noise as the pump has sufficient volume. I change the oil every 3K miles and use 5w20 Pennzoil Synthetic oil with a Mopar filter. I appreciate any thoughts on what it might be so I can talk intelligently to the service department. Here is the link to the video of it happening. Thank you, Doug
Assuming your oil level is good, it's not possible for the oil pump to run out of oil because it has pumped it all to other parts of the engine.

It's difficult to troubleshoot a noise through the internet and a cell phone.
However, the noise resembles what the valve body in an automatic transmission sometimes sounds like. If you have an automatic, go under and check it from that perspective.
You give no indication of how your JK is equipped, so please fill out your profile if you plan on sticking around.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the info, I will check out the valve body on the next cold start. I didn't mention that it doesn't do it all the time which makes it difficult to describe to a service department. Also, when I start the motor the oil pressure goes to about 100 or just over and then drops slowly as it gets warmer and never goes below 29 (at idle) when up to operating temp. I do plan on sticking around so I will update my profile, too many buttons and links so I am still trying to get my bearings. Thanks again, Doug
Old 12-25-2017, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Welcome and good luck

Originally Posted by Swgeek
Thank you all for the info, I will check out the valve body on the next cold start. I didn't mention that it doesn't do it all the time which makes it difficult to describe to a service department. Also, when I start the motor the oil pressure goes to about 100 or just over and then drops slowly as it gets warmer and never goes below 29 (at idle) when up to operating temp. I do plan on sticking around so I will update my profile, too many buttons and links so I am still trying to get my bearings. Thanks again, Doug
Best of luck with the root-cause analysis, and please let us know what it is when you figure it out.

Quick Reply: Jeep JK growl noise on startup