Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Hardtop Cart

Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soft top time! I have a harken hoist, and last year I left the hardtop suspended. But with an 8ft ceiling, it gets in the way.

I built this stand last night from some scrap lumber. The dimensions are perfect, and it works great. I'll probably re-build it with more care and add casters when I get some time, but it is functional enough and I only need to slide it a few feet to the wall.

However, while trying to adjust it on the cart, it slipped off the 6" 2x4 blocks, tilted back, and was resting on the rear wiper plastic housing. The little piece that covers the wiper arm cracked. Anyone know what this part is called, and where I could get a replacement plastic wiper arm housing for a 2015 2 door hardtop?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theinside
Soft top time! I have a harken hoist, and last year I left the hardtop suspended. But with an 8ft ceiling, it gets in the way.

I built this stand last night from some scrap lumber. The dimensions are perfect, and it works great. I'll probably re-build it with more care and add casters when I get some time, but it is functional enough and I only need to slide it a few feet to the wall.

However, while trying to adjust it on the cart, it slipped off the 6" 2x4 blocks, tilted back, and was resting on the rear wiper plastic housing. The little piece that covers the wiper arm cracked. Anyone know what this part is called, and where I could get a replacement plastic wiper arm housing for a 2015 2 door hardtop?
Check out this thread. They can help you locate the part number and probably get you a good price on the part. Hope this helps. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...t-here-314660/
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

built this last night to exact specs and my top does not sit on it well at all, wants to slide off the blocks and the 1by is not strong enough to hold the window closed. will be modifying it today. not sure what diff, if i sit it on the block stable it does not reach he other 2x4 for the bottom.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Done

Built a slightly modified version for about $40. Used 2 high 6" 2x4 stacks vice the 3 high and put one in center too. Moved the outside stacks closer to corners and put one dead center. Holding steady in my carport for now.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-USMarine
Finally got this done. I did however use two of the recommendations, using 2 stacked 6" blocks and cut the width down to 26.5" and it worked out great!
Very Nice ...I went this Route ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3288614479.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	648192
Old 05-30-2016, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I got two ideas from this forum and combined the two into my hard top removal "system". In the lower right corner of the pic is a winch I bought at Harbor Freight. The cable runs up to two swivel pulleys and down to a square tubing "T" I welded up. I cut three square U bolts and placed some plastic tubing on the end going against the top. There is one at the back window also. I then made a 2x4 and plywood shelf to put the top on for storage. I simply unhook two of the ratchet straps and let the shelf down, winch the top off and up then raise the shelf, attach it to the straps by means of eye bolts and lower the top onto the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3584915241.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	581.6 KB
ID:	648336  
Old 06-25-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zimm17
I just found this awesome thread. I'm going to build a cart this weekend. Anyone know how many 8' 2x4's it takes? 3? A materials list would be a great addition to this thread.
This design takes 2 pieces of 2" x 4" x 8' and 1 piece of 1" x 3" x 59"

Here's the "cut list"...
1 piece @ 59" long + 1 piece 30" long + 1 piece 6" long = one 2' x 4' x 8'
1 piece @ 59" long + 1 piece 30" long + 1 piece 6" long = one 2' x 4' x 8'
1 piece @ 59" long of 1" x 3"

Note: I used a 3rd 30" piece in the middle to support the 1" x 3" without knowing if it's necessary (but it won't sag now).

You'll need screws for the casters (1-1/2 or less" since a 2x4 is 1-1/2") typically 4 per caster = 16 screws (20 if you use these 1-1/2" screws for the 1x3).
You'll need screws to assemble the 2x4's typically 2 per corner (I suggest 2-1/2" long) = 8 screws (12 if you use a 3rd piece of 2x4 in the middle).
You'll need screws to assemble the 1" x 3" (you can use some 1-1/2" screws just add them to the above quantity of 16) = 4 screws.

You'll also need padding of some kind. I bought an anti-fatigue mat at Home Depot for $10 and cut it easily with a razor knife. It was easy to cut and bonus, the mat has lines running the length of it so I just followed them when razor knifing.

You'll need a staple gun and staples.
And you'll need a drill - pre-drilling the holes makes screwing much easier and you won't split the 1x3.
You'll want to have a second drill to drive in the screws.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riptyd
Just a few last pictures for y'all

Based on the design it appears to me that the hardtop is supposed to sit on the 1x3 and butt up against the padded 2x4 (not on it). Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep DIY Hardtop Cart.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	650661

Last edited by MagicMtnDan; 06-25-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

THANK YOU TO ALL who has posted on this thread!!! This information has become extremely valuable to me! I am a newbie to the JK scene, but I have realized the price of this contraption is far to expensive. I have seen other designs as well! Again, thank you very much to ALL!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb Sorry, just a newby

Originally Posted by depalmz
I was about to build this over the weekend, but before I do...

As this post is from 2009, are the plans for this still current for a 2013 hard top. Please excuse my ignorance on the topic, but I don't want to waste my time and money if this won't work. It seems that the rear supports would hit the hinges of the top of the rear window. I'm don't want to break the window or bend the hinges. Am I correct or just worrying about nothing?
You could try to measure the actual hinge size?? and change the original setup?.
It is wonderfull somebody gave you an idea howto.!
I´m planning to ad bigger wheels, because I live on a mountain at a dirt road. will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: DIY Hardtop Cart