Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Hardtop Cart

Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Hardtop Cart

I am planning on taking my top off tomorrow but I needed a way to move and store the top. I have seen several ways to hang it on the side wall of the grarge or suspend it from the ceiling. For me the most practical way to store it would be a cart to put it on. There are several available at the shops starting around $140 I had seen a few board pages that talked about building your own out of wood. I found the following parts list and dimensions::
I am not sure where these plans originated, I just found them on the web. I was recently contacted by David Mellon @. http://performancejeepchrysler.com/
He claims that I have plagerized these instructions and materials list. If he is truly the originator of these directions , I apologize. Infringement was not my intention. The pictures are mine and it is my jeep. I hope he acepts my apology and is statisfied with me giving him credit for his contribution. Otherwise I will have to remove this post.

Parts list
1) 1 59 inch length of 1x2
2) 2 30 inch lengths of 2x4
3) 2 59 inch lengths of 2x4
4) 6 6 inch lengths of 2x4
5) 8 1/2 inch long wood screws
6) 2 1 1/2 inch wood screws
7) 20 3 inch long wood screws
8) 4 2 inch swivel wheels. Poly, plastic or metal wheels will all work - locking wheels are optional - recommended if your storage surface is uneven.
9) Optional: Two 12x2 cuts of Foam, felt or soft fabric

Tools needed for construction / assembly

1) Philips screw driver OR Philips bit for electric drill
2) Electric Drill
3) Hand saw OR power saw
4) Drill bit 5/32

Construction / assembly instructions

1) Lay the two 59" 2x4's parallel to each other on level and solid work space. Floor works well.
2) Lay the two 30" 2x4 pieces over the top of the longer (59" pieces) creating a rectangle (Fig 1)

3) Drill two 5/32 starter holes for the screws in each corner
4) Screw each corner together filling all holes using 3" screws
5) Place each wheel on the outside edge of the 59" piece of 2x4 allowing enough room for the wheel to turn 360 degrees (Figure 3)

6) Screw wheels in place using at least two screws per wheel placed diagonally to each other using 1/2" long wood screws.
7) Turn rack over with wheel side down (Figure 2)
8) Measure 9.5 inches in from either side, place the 59 inch 1x2 at that location. Drill a 5/32 starter hole on each end then screw in place using one 1 1/2 inch screw on each end. (this window bar is in place to hold your rear window closed)

9) On the farthest 59" 2x4 from the window bar measure 10.5 inches from each end and mark these locations for the 6" rear support pieces to be installed (Figure 2).
10) Place one 6" 2x4 on each of your marked location, drill two 5/32 starter holes in each piece then screw in place using two 3" screws per block. Continue stacking, drilling starter holes and screwing 6" pieces in place until each stack is 3 pieces high ( Figure 2)
11) Optional: Pad the tops of the rear support pieces with foam, felt or soft fabric

12) Figure 4 shows placement of hardtop on the dolly.

Unfortunately there were no diagrams or pictures when it said figure1-2-3-4 so That part was a little more my imagination. I bought the materials which cost about $22.00. The caster wheels I had picked up at a yard sale for some unknown future project. it took me about 90 minutes to build it on the drive way. later tonight or tomorrow I will post my build pictures to go with the assembly instructions. I think it will do the job nicely.

and before you say it:

I will post them asap, but right now I have to get the boy to a Cub Scout Meeting

Last edited by Riptyd; 10-18-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

pictures have been added.

Photo credit:http://www.flickr.com/people/seraphimc/
Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a few last pictures for y'all

Last edited by Riptyd; 05-08-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Very nice work

I like the way you built this and wrote this up. Well done! I will do the same or use the "moving dolly" paired together (since I have 2 dollies available.) Since my garage doesn't have the height to allow for a hoist, the dolly seems like the best method. What is that rod with the bungee cord? I'm gonna guess its a clothes rod and holds the window closed.. I know some places sell clamps, but this seems like a good way to hold the window. I suppose my fears regarding the hardtop are associated with dropping it or knocking it over. I plan on putting it on a dolly and then lash it to the wall. Right now it is sitting on the garage floor roof side down. I bought a moving blanket and it is sitting on that. Once I make the dolly, I will cover the top with the blanket.

Again nice write up, and nice Jeep too!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

whats that member for? is it holding glass? Attachment 23838
Old 05-09-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the 1x2 cross piece is designed to hold window. My issue was that when your lowering the top off the jeep the window can flop open and potentially be damaged. Looking at the commercial unit, I noticed things that were designed to keep that from happening. I used a garment rack that I could expand to the length needed, then used a bungee cord. Worked awsome. You could leave the rod/bungee on and skip the 1x2 in the build process.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default I have made a quick plan for this, it works great!!

here are the plans. . I tried to upload a pdf but it was to big. .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep_dolly.gif
Views:	120951
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	26594  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Need it a little larger. My eyes are getting older

Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a bigger picture

Great write-up. As soon as I clear some space in my garage I will need to build one of these.

but... I can't read the PDF. Can it be posted to photobucket or something?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

I'll be at Home Depot this weekend.

Quick Reply: DIY Hardtop Cart