Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which tire is more bang for your buck?
Pro Comp Xtreme Mud-Terrain
27.87%
Toyo Open Country MT
72.13%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

PRO COMP Xtreme Mud-Terrain vs Toyo Open Country MT

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRO COMP Xtreme Mud-Terrain vs Toyo Open Country MT

I've seen quite a few threads about either one of these tires vs a third option like the BFG KM2s for example.

However, since these tires are so similar, which would you get? The Toyos would be a hair more expensive but are they worth it?

What would the difference be between the two regarding on and off road performance?

My current BFG MTs don't have any siping and don't do that well in the rain.

Does anyone have any direct experience with handling both?

Pro Comps:

Toyos:
Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak from experience with the Pro Comp's.... They're great on and off road. Nice and quiet when driving on pavement. Only drawback was they didnt perform that well in snow.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the procomp, very good offroader when aired way down, and also quiet of the highway - never tried the toyo though. I would assume just as good if not better.

If you want bang for buck, wait for pro comps buy 3 get the 4th free deal!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Keep in mind that the Toyo's are really heavy and have an "E" load rating. Lots of extra weight to push around, but a really great looking tire.

Saw a 35" Toyo MT up close on Fish's JK during the Newbie run - that would be my choice of tire, but also costs some $$
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dang lotta polls just popped up all of a sudden seems like...
Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running on my second set of Toyo M/T's on my Dodge Ram CTD...

Toyo M/T's are an awesome tire, great wearing, very quiet, great mud traction, very strong side wall as this was the first tire that I never have exerienced a side wall puncture from rocks. Like my last set of Toyo M/T's....I did not require any weight for balancing...they are a well made tire!!!

Drawbacks: Price & tire weight....but you get what you pay for with these tires!

I did look at the Procomp X-treme M/T and Nitto Mud Grappler but it came down to price for the Toyo's as my local dealer made me an offer I could not turn down and also, how well my last set of Toyo M/T's lasted.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Toyo

better tire. last longer. will not chip as easy!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

I have pro comp x terrains and I would never buy a pro comp tire again. They are very noisey. When it comes time for new tires, it'll be toyo's for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

i went through the same thing but i got lucky when there was a deal and bought the x muds. I think the toyos are probably a better tire but not by much i love the x m/t pro comps so far and they are quiet and they do great in the woods. All around good tire id say. For me though it was abou tthe money. Pro comps a a great value but like i said i would imagine the toyos are better. Comes down to dollars and cents on that one. I dont think going either way is a bad idea.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had the Toyo's only about a month and have been on 2 trails so far; they are excellent on rocks, trails and mud. The tires are heavy but in exchange you get a 10 ply tire, which means it will be virtually impossible to cut them. I also don't mind the weight because if you are going to add weight, the ground is the best place to add it!

Quick Reply: PRO COMP Xtreme Mud-Terrain vs Toyo Open Country MT