Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

black sludge comes out of differential?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard lube locker will make this easier. No RTV involved.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I heard lube locker will make this easier. No RTV involved.
i'll get that for next time. thx. as long as this doesn't leak its not coming back off till next time its due for a change...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how you like the smell of that gear oil?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
how you like the smell of that gear oil?
yea, that was gross.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by michelle@az
the fluid that came out of my rear differential looked a big like dark gray/black sludge. is it supposed to look like that? the front differential looked like oil when it drained, it had a bit of the sludge on the drain plug, but the fluid that came out was clear.

just refill it with the new fluid? (mobil 1 gear oil)

08 4x4, 16,000 miles, 1st change
How much metal was on the drain plug magnet? If there wasn't much, just refill it. Mine had quite a bit of metal on them from the factory. I changed them at 500 miles for the hell of it just to get some synthetic in there. I now have 5.13's and they too had a bit of metal after 500 miles and the fluid looked bad even though it was just a few weeks old. Unless you got a ton of metal or alot noise, don't worry about it

Last edited by husker_shoe; 07-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by husker_shoe
How much metal was on the drain plug magnet? If there wasn't much, just refill it. Mine had quite a bit of metal on them from the factory. I changed them at 500 miles for the hell of it just to get some synthetic in there. I now have 5.13's and they too had a bit of metal after 500 miles and the fluid looked bad even though it was just a few weeks old. Unless you got a ton of metal of alot noise, don't worry about it
the face of the plug didn't have much, the little pocket around the face was full of little shards.

i ended up taking the whole cover off and spraying it down with brake cleaner. since the oil that came out of the front was so much cleaner than the rear. the front had less shavings and only the plug itself had the sludge on it.

how much gear oil do they take? i read the writeup, and it says 1.35qt - and i could only fit 1qt in there. it was spilling out after 1. and i haven't filled the rear yet, letting the rtv set
Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the face of the plug didn't have much, the little pocket around the face was full of little shards.

i ended up taking the whole cover off and spraying it down with brake cleaner. since the oil that came out of the front was so much cleaner than the rear. the front had less shavings and only the plug itself had the sludge on it.

how much gear oil do they take? i read the writeup, and it says 1.35qt - and i could only fit 1qt in there. it was spilling out after 1. and i haven't filled the rear yet, letting the rtv set
the rear should take 2.3qts or till its at the fill hole, I know this maybe a silly question since your in a desert, but have you been thru any deep water?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

no, i don't think i've ever driven in water at all in it.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi

the fluid that came out of my rear differential looked a big like dark gray/black sludge. is it supposed to look like that? the front differential looked like oil when it drained, it had a bit of the sludge on the drain plug, but the fluid that came out was clear.

just refill it with the new fluid? (mobil 1 gear oil)

08 4x4, 16,000 miles, 1st change

My original stock rear diff fluid looked nasty as well, there are several others who have had the same (and some threads with pics), not sure what the reason is with the factory fill coming out like that though. My front also looked like fresh oil to.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
My original stock rear diff fluid looked nasty as well, there are several others who have had the same (and some threads with pics), not sure what the reason is with the factory fill coming out like that though. My front also looked like fresh oil to.
Mine were dirty in the front and rear.

Is there any brake in on the gears before they come off the line and get filled?

If the brake in oil is what remains until you change it out at 15,000 miles, that explains the oil appearance.

Anyone know if the factory gear oil is dyno or synthetic?

Quick Reply: black sludge comes out of differential?