Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Canoe on soft top

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TxCop07
Can you take the front bracket off easily? When not carrying the canoe.
Sorry, missed that! YES very simple to remove. Two bolts, one on either side where the vertical tubing inserts at the windshield bracket- the originals are knobs but I replaced them with standard bolts because the knobs had a tendency to come loose on long, bumpy drives and couldn't be tightened sufficiently by hand.

I am planning to replace the horizontal front bar (which is a wierd oval shape, compatible with other Lange accessories) with 1" round EMT conduit so I can fit my Yakima gunwale brackets on there. I will have the new bar welded on so there will be no chance of any bolts working loose.

Amazingly, NOBODY (that I can find) makes such a product already... so I have to Frankenstein it myself. :/
Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that's cool. Keep us updated as you upgrade it.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK here's the final version. This system will work with:

1. hard top
2. soft top
3. no top

It's easily removable, very sturdy, and I can still carry 2 bikes on the back, and the 1" conduit is compatible with other rack accessories (i.e., Yakima, etc.)

Front:

Windshield brackets and verticals from Lange. 1" EMT conduit across the top.

Back:

Mopar spare tire bike rack with welded "T-bar" for the back of the canoe.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my write-up on hauling a canoe & kayak on a soft top.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...noe-Kayak-Rack
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Another option

Another idea option, if you wanted to have the soft top up, would be getting some of that pipe insulation and put it over the lip/sides of the canoe. That should provide enough cushion on the top and it should wear away faster than the top if anything gets between them. Haven't tried it myself, but thought about it.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by schmugboy
Another idea option, if you wanted to have the soft top up, would be getting some of that pipe insulation and put it over the lip/sides of the canoe. That should provide enough cushion on the top and it should wear away faster than the top if anything gets between them. Haven't tried it myself, but thought about it.
I would be leery of putting anything directly on the soft top for any long distance trip. But for a short trip down the road I do believe the pipe insulation would work fine. Just as long as you can keep the canoe from shifting even just a little from side to side.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dustdriver
OK here's the final version. This system will work with:
Very nice. Looks very similar to the Lange Originals Rack, but I'm sure you spent less.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bripsu
Very nice. Looks very similar to the Lange Originals Rack, but I'm sure you spent less.
Thanks. Yeah the lower front sections are from Lange, but I replaced the original oval-shaped bar across the top with the round pipe. If Lange were smart, they'd do the same, to make the rack compatible with a thousand other Yakima and Thule accessories. And someone needs to make a spare-tire mounted upright for the back. They'd sell a ton of them.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

http://hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._1175272_o.jpg
I sliced some 99 cent noodles and ran along the canoe so it didn't wear out the top anymore than I already have. You will need padding or it will die! Works great though. No rack need!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3147641740.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	221053  
Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a Garvin Adventure Rack for our canoe. It is a full body rack, connects to the windsheild bolts and under the rear bumper. It tilts back to drop the soft top. Looking forward to the spring when I can start using it!

Quick Reply: Canoe on soft top