Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

thinking of bolting a ls2 chevy into JK

Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of bolting a ls2 chevy into JK

Hi guys, im Thinking of bolting of bolting a ls2 into my jk, i have the x model and i have most of the parts i think, i have a ls2 and a 4l60e tranny, i have a few questions , maybe some of you guys can help, is there any adapters the bolt the 4l60e to my current transfer case? and also what radiator would fit into the jeep? i have already contacted AA and Novak and am awaiiting their reply... i dont plan on doing the swap anytime soon, i want to collect all missing peices and maybe early next year i could have a ls2 in my jk. i already have a ls2/4l60e and that the reason i want to do this build over the hemi swap...

some of my concerns:

1:what radiator will i use?
2:i will be getting the gas pedel for the enigne,
3:i dont have the pcm and wireing harness,
4:i do have access the a tuner shop who can cancel all unessary sensors, and unlock pcm to work with my ls2
5:i can fabricate new bolt on engine mounts
6: thats all i can think of for now, ohh and this will be only trail rig.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send a pm to holymolyracing. He's the only one here I know of that has done a chevy swap into a jk. And his definitely isn't street legal... rear steer and such.

Good luck and take pictures!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLeepY_BoY
Hi guys, im Thinking of bolting of bolting a ls2 into my jk, i have the x model and i have most of the parts i think, i have a ls2 and a 4l60e tranny, i have a few questions , maybe some of you guys can help, is there any adapters the bolt the 4l60e to my current transfer case? and also what radiator would fit into the jeep? i have already contacted AA and Novak and am awaiiting their reply... i dont plan on doing the swap anytime soon, i want to collect all missing peices and maybe early next year i could have a ls2 in my jk. i already have a ls2/4l60e and that the reason i want to do this build over the hemi swap...

some of my concerns:

4:i do have access the a tuner shop who can cancel all unessary sensors, and unlock pcm to work with my ls2
1. Check the radiators for the Hemi swap. Should be able to use w/ custom Goodyear hoses. ScreamingLizards is a source for that.

2. Adapt a pedal from the GTO or Vette if keeping electric throttle. EASIER is to get a manual throttle cable. I can give you some sources. Won't list here as they are Chevy LSx based sponsors, not Jeep.

3. PCM can be had cheap. A Used one is only like $100. The wiring harness. Well, I'd start with one from a LS2 based car (GTO, Vette). The REAL fun and why there aren't tons of LS powered Jeeps running about is that you'll have to figure out how to wire the GM engine into the Jeep. Doubt you can keep the stock gauges. Accessories and integration into the body control module will also be tough (especially since the Jeep has multi-plex wiring and the GM engines do not.)

4. You'll have to fab engine mounts. More precisely, you'll have to fab K-member to attach mounts to to install. That's not including figuring how to get the trans mated to the transfer case, which oil pan to use, etc. etc.

5. If you do this.....post pics and instructions so I can follow suit As for HolyMolyRacing, yep, he has a LS2 w/ a Magnacharger, but he did not build the vehicle and has never answered tech questions concerning actually getting an LS engine to work in the Jeep (I honestly don't think he knows how it was integrated). ORE built it, and they are not letting out the info on how it was installed either. So, unless HolyMoly lets you borrow his rig for measurements and photos (or you can talk to ORE and get some good info from the fabricators), you're on your own.

BTW, get that puppy installed and I'll get er' all tuned up for ya in no time.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

some of my concerns:

You can Do it! you have the parts.

I was in the same boat only I had a 6.0 with Magnacharger, a 4L80e and a Dyna 60 front axel. That was destined to go into a Jeepspeed, then I wrecked it.
Answers:
1) Ron Davis makes them and it is a standard size I can measure mine but I would wait to see exactly how your motor mounts sit so that you know it will fit when you order it, fans and shroud.
2) I run mine by cable, and changed the peddle. it is kiss
3) Call Danzio Performance in Lake Ellsinore, you can take them the motor and they will wire and tune it perfectly.
4) have them tune the transmission. I changed to manual valve body so no computer. You need to investigate how that 4L60 spits oil out when you stand the Jeep on End, I installed a accusump and reservoir for the overflow tube. Overflows when vertical and refills trans when back to normal.

you could keep your original dash, I chose to cut mine out because the roll cage placed the seats very close and by making a billet dash I made huge leg room for the driver, and it also gave me the ability to mount gps, cb, race radio etc into the dash. Looks like an air plane dash.

I’ve been holding back on posting too much about it because Straight to Ridiculous is going to be featured in Four Wheel Drive & SUV magazine. Should be next month I think. But really if your going to do it you could take a look at mine. I’ll be on the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon Trail if you want to see it, go on the Jamboree.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07014med.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	28121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07012med.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	28122  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schantin
1. Check the radiators for the Hemi swap. Should be able to use w/ custom Goodyear hoses. ScreamingLizards is a source for that.

2. Adapt a pedal from the GTO or Vette if keeping electric throttle. EASIER is to get a manual throttle cable. I can give you some sources. Won't list here as they are Chevy LSx based sponsors, not Jeep.

3. PCM can be had cheap. A Used one is only like $100. The wiring harness. Well, I'd start with one from a LS2 based car (GTO, Vette). The REAL fun and why there aren't tons of LS powered Jeeps running about is that you'll have to figure out how to wire the GM engine into the Jeep. Doubt you can keep the stock gauges. Accessories and integration into the body control module will also be tough (especially since the Jeep has multi-plex wiring and the GM engines do not.)

4. You'll have to fab engine mounts. More precisely, you'll have to fab K-member to attach mounts to to install. That's not including figuring how to get the trans mated to the transfer case, which oil pan to use, etc. etc.

5. If you do this.....post pics and instructions so I can follow suit As for HolyMolyRacing, yep, he has a LS2 w/ a Magnacharger, but he did not build the vehicle and has never answered tech questions concerning actually getting an LS engine to work in the Jeep (I honestly don't think he knows how it was integrated). ORE built it, and they are not letting out the info on how it was installed either. So, unless HolyMoly lets you borrow his rig for measurements and photos (or you can talk to ORE and get some good info from the fabricators), you're on your own.

BTW, get that puppy installed and I'll get er' all tuned up for ya in no time.
Hey be nice. Sorry I don’t visit here often, and so many people send me e-mails asking for some kind of blue print on how to do it. Honestly, I did not do all of the work, but I did go to the shops so often that Mel for example probably hates me, but the whole way everything on my JK truly is Ridiculous and 100% custom and overbuilt. The best part is the chrome molly roll cage so safe!

All of the body armor, rock sliders and tire rack are ORE prototypes; you can get the improved versions from them. Dana 60's, Atlas 4 speed, Advanced Adapters kit for 4l60 .....

No one sells a kit and that is why most shops will not work with you, it is easier to bolt on a kit then to customize 1 or 2 a year.

I assure you that I can tell you nearly anything about Ridiculous; I may have to look at a receipt or measure the template. If you treat it no different than an off road race car or putting a small block into a nova it makes it easier. Also I have been respecting an upcomming artical on Straight to Ridiculous.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

ill wait for the article, it should help me... but it would be nice to see those trans and engine mounts...., you turned you 4l80 into a manual valvebody trans? or did you change it into a 700r(early 4l60)... i need a little bit more info, and guys i live in dubai, so ill have to ship some parts from your side of the world
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HolyMolyRacing
Hey be nice. Sorry I don’t visit here often, and so many people send me e-mails asking for some kind of blue print on how to do it. Honestly, I did not do all of the work, but I did go to the shops so often that Mel for example probably hates me, but the whole way everything on my JK truly is Ridiculous and 100% custom and overbuilt. The best part is the chrome molly roll cage so safe!

All of the body armor, rock sliders and tire rack are ORE prototypes; you can get the improved versions from them. Dana 60's, Atlas 4 speed, Advanced Adapters kit for 4l60 .....

No one sells a kit and that is why most shops will not work with you, it is easier to bolt on a kit then to customize 1 or 2 a year.

I assure you that I can tell you nearly anything about Ridiculous; I may have to look at a receipt or measure the template. If you treat it no different than an off road race car or putting a small block into a nova it makes it easier. Also I have been respecting an upcomming artical on Straight to Ridiculous.
I'm not insulting you or your ride my friend, I really like your Jeep But, I asked last year about the install and couldn't even receive a straight answer as to what oil pan was needed for install on a JK (was told....yea it fits no problem.......). Leads me to believe that the details of your machine are under wraps. That or you don't have the particulars of the build. It's not an insult, but if you didn't do the wrenching, you can't really explain some of the install details, which I'd need to duplicate......... just the same as Jay Leno can't explain the wiring harness on his bad-a$$ Jet bike.

I have 10 years experience working with highly modded LSx engines both N/A and FI (see sig). I'd love to put a LS1, LQ9, etc in my Jeep...Hell, I have one lying around.........but I'm not going to chop up a good working SUV I'm making payments on for research and experimentation. (My wife would murder me ) PM me with info on your build. I'd definetly be interested in the particulars. I guarantee I'll have a LSx in my Rubi by the end of the year if I know the details on the wiring, engine mounting, + adaptation to the transfer case (Which brings a related point, your JK pics lead me to believe you have a custom front frame). I've already experimented with one car (rear-mount turbo Camaro)...... and the cost is stupid if you do it w/out a good plan and research.

Again, I love your Jeep. If I knew the details......well, there'd be 2 LSx JK's on the road

Phil.

Last edited by Schantin; 08-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

ill wait for the article, it should help me... but it would be nice to see those trans and engine mounts...., you turned you 4l80 into a manual valvebody trans? or did you change it into a 700r(early 4l60)... i need a little bit more info, and guys i live in dubai, so ill have to ship some parts from your side of the world

Trans Q's. It doesn't matter whether you use a 4L60 or a 700R4. The PCM for the LS2 can be programmed to work both. In essence a 700R4 is a non-computer cotrolled 4L60..... but the LS2 PCM has provisions for the tranny, so it's a mute point. In short, a 4L60 or (going old-school here) TH400 would be the best bet. The 4L80 would be bad-a$$ed considering it's an off-road vehicle, but the physical dimensions are bigger. (Have one in my 3500 truck) You can get a Stage III-V 4L60 that will more than handle the HP and stress of off-highway driving. A 4L80 would only be need ed if you're doing some serious HP mods (above 600RWHP).

Adapting to the transfer case is the key. From HolyMoly's response, sounds like a custom Atlas case is the answer. Still a lot of custom fab work.

Again, I've ben patiently waiting for someone to do this swap. I'm very interested in doing the same To be honet though, I think the Hemi is a more $$ effective solution since ARB came out with their install kit.

Last edited by Schantin; 08-05-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Advanced adapters sells a 4L80e / 4L60 adapter for the Atlas transfer case. I think a stock transfer case would explode under the load of a LS /LQ motor.

I had my 4L80 (Quadzilla Model) modified by Performance Transmission to be a manual valve body. Means automatic trans that you manually shift, the computer is eliminated, just like a race car or hot rod. It is great, idles down hills with no brakes and down shifts are instant! These parts are not custom they are off the shelf.

My motor dyno says it's supposed to have 580 hp /630 torque at the crank shaft so the 4L80 is perfect. I already owned the trans. it is big and I had to modify the floor for the transfer case clocking. Smaller trans TH400 will fit easier, but you loose the over drive gears. Plus stock motor probably produces 390-425 max hp. so probably 270 hp at the wheels. Even less with 40 inch tires and dana 60 is my guess.

transmissioncenter.net
advancedadapters.com

the oil pan is the stock LQ9 pan from Turn Key Engine Supply. though I recommend Danzioperformance.com.

ORE custom made the motor mounts. They are simple plate design, solid mounted.

To be clear I do not have a blue print for you to follow. It's not like your paying me to tell you what I did so if you want more help be nicer, thanks.

Last edited by falconfixer; 08-06-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: no direct links to nonsponsors
Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi

SUV I'm making payments on for research and experimentation. (My wife would murder me )....

.....well, there'd be 2 LSx JK's on the road
Couple questions. Is it a trail only rig? Or are you planning to drive it on the road? Also, are you going to inform the bank that is financing your JK that you plan to make it no longer a streetable vehicle? As awesome as a LS JK is... I think that the bank would have trouble with the collateral on a loan no longer meeting legal requirements for motor vehicles.

I am not trying to be an ass, I just am not sure how you are working that out. Also, you should prolly be sucking up to holymoly since he owns the only LS powered JK that I know of and could probably save you loads of time and money.

Quick Reply: thinking of bolting a ls2 chevy into JK