Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another Rust Question

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Rust Question

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just bought a rubicon and please dont kill me for saying this but I replaced the rock rails in favor of the factory wrangler steps (I have a short wife too). I thought the step would offer better protection from the elements.

While I was crawling around under there, I noticed the body panel right between the rockers and the frame appear to be very exposed along with the area the step or rail bolts to.

Also, in the front of the rear wheel well, several inches of the body panels are extreemly exposed. This area looks as if it will be very rust prone. Once rust starts, it just keeps growing. I would have thought a plastic shroud should have been used to cover that up.

I live in northern Indiana in the heart of salt country and I live on a dirt road. This area of the jeep will get sandblasted by the elements regularly.

Has anyone noticed these areas as rust prone? Would an aftermarket rust proofing job help it?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't hurt, something like ziebart or a wax based compound that can be flooded in to the body panels and cavitys with a wand. The exposed areas underneath would do well with a sprayable undercoat, not asphalt based, a good rubberized product. Keep a couple of spray cans on hand to touch up areas the gravel gets.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already had a bare rust spot between the driver's side fender and the rock rail. Shitbox.....
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have used some zinc primer I found somewhere on the bare stuff and then cover it with flat black rustolium. The rusty bolts and such I blast with the rust converter rustolium. If I'm in a rush, I blast is with some WD40 or heavier stuff I have lying around until I can spray them. I do it with my oil changes. Over kill but if/when I need a part replaced, I won't be screwing with a rusted on bolt. I do plan on keeping this a long time.

Question: Has anyone found areas that get abused that I should watch for. Mine has only been off a couple times so I don't get things kicked around like some of you.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 AM
***erator

Rust Ahhhh Las Vegas.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Funny, funny
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rust Never Sleeps......... The rust under my new jeep is pretty sick - the parts that they put on at the factory probably had signs of rust at assembly.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great Write up

I will use the wd-40 trick
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only slows it a little bit if you drive alot plus if you spray alot make sure you cover the old lungs unless you want to get lubricated in a different way. I use some lighter white grease in a can but you have to watch where dirt could collect and cause a bigger mess. A quick wipe with a rag to get the dirt off and a quick blast with the black rustolium is almost as quick. Messy looking sometimes but I am not using it as a show car (jeep). I want it to last. WD 40 works better in the cold weather until you can spray in. I get Old car restorer magazines and many of the collector driver cars get the rustolium treatment (many use a brush on paint which I used and is more time consuming but more exact.)
Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

My thought was to take it to a body shop and have the area just below the doors, behind the side step sprayed with bedliner. Do you think that would work?

Quick Reply: Another Rust Question