Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

What Pistol do you carry daily?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imrahil
I think Snags has the same problem my girlfriend does, just can't quite grasp the whole idea all at one time. At least English is her third language.
Ok, if you aren't carrying your pistol for protection, what are you carrying it for? See, I don't really carry mine daily. I pretty much only carry it when I have a need for it.

I only see a few reasons for carrying a pistol:

1) LE or Armed Forces (Protection)
2) Protection
3) Going to shoot some targets
4) Hunting
5) Just to be COOL!

I carry mine when I feel the need for added protection. So, which one are you??
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Blue
I love my P238 and will probably get a P938 if they aver ship. I was at a gun show in Dayton a few weeks ago and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mustang.
Didn't realize they were producing those things again until you posted that. I might have to pick one up when i get back to the States. Will be nice to have a new one so that I can put up my original that my dad passed on to me.

Originally Posted by snags922
So, which one are you??
He is saying that he carries a pistol for protection but he doesn't enjoy shooting it at the range because of how it digs into him. He never said that he wouldn't carry it for protection because of that or that he plans on shooting someone 50 times (or even once for that matter). If you read a bit into what he typed I am sure you could figure that he wants to practice with his carry gun and he wants to be able to enjoy it at the range. Why purchase a gun that serves only one purpose when there are so many options out there today? Why not own a pistol that can serve double duty? It can be comfortable and enjoyable on the range while still being a small form package that works as a concealed carry pistol?

And since you asked, mine is for protection now. I used to carry as Military and Executive Protection though.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snags922
Ok, if you aren't carrying your pistol for protection, what are you carrying it for? See, I don't really carry mine daily. I pretty much only carry it when I have a need for it.

I only see a few reasons for carrying a pistol:

1) LE or Armed Forces (Protection)
2) Protection
3) Going to shoot some targets
4) Hunting
5) Just to be COOL!

I carry mine when I feel the need for added protection. So, which one are you??

The obvious point is that you need to comfortable shooting your weapon, and the only way to get comfortable is to put rounds downrange. I spent 10 years in the Marines and I can assure you that if you only carry your weapon and never shoot it, you will be an epic fail when you need it. Especially a CCW pistol that you need to draw, aim and get rounds on target under duress. Powersurg is just saying that the pistol isn't comfortable for target shooting, he didn't say anything about putting 50 rounds into someone. I didn't see anything offensive in his post for you to jump on so give him a break.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jfh1976
Glock 36 for CCW. Small, light, accurate, and carries a punch (.45).
Is that what you were carrying when we met last week? I had the Sig just because I don't usually carry that much cash
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

I carry a glock 23 w/CT laser grip in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster, a Kahr P380 w/CT laser guard in a pocket holster or a Colt Pony Pocketlite in a DeSantis IWB holster depending on how I am dressed. no matter what gun I carry I also carry a Kimber PepperBlaster most of the time as a nonlethal option.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 AM
JK Newbie

I just picked up a S&W M&P 9 shield and have to say it's a great and my most favorite carry gun, not a single problem out of the box with 1300 rounds so far
Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imrahil
He is saying that he carries a pistol for protection but he doesn't enjoy shooting it at the range because of how it digs into him. He never said that he wouldn't carry it for protection because of that or that he plans on shooting someone 50 times (or even once for that matter). If you read a bit into what he typed I am sure you could figure that he wants to practice with his carry gun and he wants to be able to enjoy it at the range. Why purchase a gun that serves only one purpose when there are so many options out there today? Why not own a pistol that can serve double duty? It can be comfortable and enjoyable on the range while still being a small form package that works as a concealed carry pistol?

And since you asked, mine is for protection now. I used to carry as Military and Executive Protection though.

Originally Posted by unl94
The obvious point is that you need to comfortable shooting your weapon, and the only way to get comfortable is to put rounds downrange. I spent 10 years in the Marines and I can assure you that if you only carry your weapon and never shoot it, you will be an epic fail when you need it. Especially a CCW pistol that you need to draw, aim and get rounds on target under duress. Powersurg is just saying that the pistol isn't comfortable for target shooting, he didn't say anything about putting 50 rounds into someone. I didn't see anything offensive in his post for you to jump on so give him a break.
I realize what you are both saying and it doesn't have to be that way! Have any of you attended formal handgun training? Imrahil, with your background, you most likely have. And maybe unl94 and powrsurg have too. What I was getting at is that there are other ways to improve your comfort and accuracy without putting rounds downrange.

Dry-firing in your home can improve your accuracy more than years-and-years of live-fire at the range. You don't have to squeeze the trigger 50 times either. DISCLAIMER: If anyone is going to do this, SAFETY FIRST - every time you pick that weapon up, make sure the magazine is out and no rounds are chambered!!! But you can practice dry-firing with 20 trigger pulls at a time. At the same time, work on your stance, your grip and your nice smooth trigger squeeze. I realize it isn't as fun as sending rounds downrange but it will improve your accuracy tremendously... guaranteed (if you use the proper techniques)!!

I am not saying that you should never go to the range! Cause shooting rounds downrange is fun and relaxing. Have fun at the range...but at the range, if you notice your accuracy dropping, step back and do some dry-fire exercises for a couple minutes.

And DON'T read any more into what I am saying...I am not the best shot and I still have a lot to learn about shooting. I just wanted to share my experiences.

P.S. - Last resort is to put any rounds into anybody! I never want to even be in the situation where I have to make that decision!!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dry-firing in your home can improve your accuracy more than years-and-years of live-fire at the range.

I wholeheartedly agree that dry-firing is an important part of training, but I'm not sure that it is important than live fire. I have literally spent hours and hours of dry firing. My point was that powersurg had nothing in his post that needed to be ridiculed and that is how you came off. Maybe I read between the lines and that wasn't your intent. If that is the case, I apologize, if not, we can agree to disagree. Either way -
Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is that what you were carrying when we met last week? I had the Sig just because I don't usually carry that much cash
Indeed, same here. There's not often a time when I don't carry it. I seem to always run into the shady types when I'm traveling that just might try something. Two Christmases ago I stopped at a gas station for a short trip from the house, and a guy started asking me for money for gas. Weird thing was is how nervous he was. I politely told him no and when he stood back upright from leaning toward my passenger window I noticed a pistol concealed in his waist band. I think he was planning something but changed his mind or decided on an easier target. I'm glad he did, because I left my CCW at home. You never know....
Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dry-firing in your home can improve your accuracy more than years-and-years of live-fire at the range.

I wholeheartedly agree that dry-firing is an important part of training, but I'm not sure that it is important than live fire. I have literally spent hours and hours of dry firing. My point was that powersurg had nothing in his post that needed to be ridiculed and that is how you came off. Maybe I read between the lines and that wasn't your intent. If that is the case, I apologize, if not, we can agree to disagree. Either way -
I reread my original post and realize it came across that way. Sorry, didn't intend that!

Many people don't realize that dry-firing can be a valuable training exercise. Myself, I feel that dry-firing is more important than live-rounds - cheaper too! But, that is just my opinion! I know opinions are like assholes - everybody has one and they all stink!! But, whatever works best for you!

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys...just trying to share something that I thought might be valuable.

Quick Reply: What Pistol do you carry daily?