Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical guys chime in. LED reverse lights

Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical guys chime in. LED reverse lights

I got myself an ACE pro series rear bumper with the rigid 6" lights that I'd like to wire into 2 different circuits. The first will be tied into the reverse lights (simple enough). The second is switched power from my daystar switch panel. My concern is that when the lights are powered from either method there will be current flowing back to the opposite source. Is adding in a diode to each 12v+ feed all it takes? Sorry for the poor diagram but you get the idea
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130525_091703.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	461368
Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, that will work. But there is no need for the diode at the switched relay and with the two + leads tied together you only need to tie to the reverse circuit with one lead and a diode.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Twinkydog
Yes, that will work. But there is no need for the diode at the switched relay and with the two + leads tied together you only need to tie to the reverse circuit with one lead and a diode.

Excellent, thanks. So just to confirm, there's no harm in having the 12v feed off the reverse circuit being fed back to the relay once it's live?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a little more food for thought.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Just a little more food for thought.

Wow, that's more help than I could have ever wanted! Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate you taking the time

Quick Reply: Electrical guys chime in. LED reverse lights