Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Anyone Break/Bend a housing at John Bull???

Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Break/Bend a housing at John Bull???

So Im taking my first outing in this Jeep Sunday at John Bull (Never run this trail). I havn't done my axles yet and am only running Cs. Going easy would I be ok or am I chancing it running without sleevesd axles? Ive only done Cleghorn and Last chance canyon before but I heard John Bull is more challenging.

Thanks

Im running 38" Nitto Muds
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible.. Just dont got to crazy. I don't anyone from that area, but id say its possible.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Anything is possible.. Just dont got to crazy. I don't anyone from that area, but id say its possible.
I really want to go but since I dont know the trail am a little apprehensive. I just dropped 4k in the Jeep this month so I cant do the Axles before I go.

I am doing RCVS with sleeves and an Artec Truss next month along with Redneck Ram assist. I guess Ill hit up confession before I go, pray to Jesus and take it as easy as possible!!!!

Last edited by VETTETHRET; 08-25-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good rule of thumb....be easy on the skinny pedal.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BIGTARS
What he said^^ Just pick good lines and go easy on the gas. I recommend sliders and diff covers. Last time I did that trail was in '08 with 35's and no lockers. I peeled back the stock rear diff cover like a tuna can.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slow speed. Biggest thing i see people do is not "crawl". Ive been a spotter alot and said slow down and they never listened and said "i feel im already going slow" many have damaged something down the trail by hitting it to fast or dropping off to fast...
Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

John Bull is a fun trail. You will be fine. Which way are you going? Up or down the trail? A buddy who lives up there and is on the forum has a 2dr d30 up front no gussets or sleeves and 33 or 35s i think. Makes the trail seem easy and goes anywhere he wants without a spotter. Given he lives there and knows the trail very well, it can be done. I would recommend decent sliders and diff covers as you will beat and bang on some of the bigger rocks. Not sure if your locked or not, but with the right lines you don't need them. I have also seen very built rigs break things on the trail. Shit can happen to anyone with any rig.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BIGTARS
Have you replaced your Axles yet? Ive never done rocks, I always see you offroad, any rocks out there?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKMARINE
What he said^^ Just pick good lines and go easy on the gas. I recommend sliders and diff covers. Last time I did that trail was in '08 with 35's and no lockers. I peeled back the stock rear diff cover like a tuna can.
I would have it at the shop tomorrow for a rear dif cover but Ive alreayd ordered the Full Traction Rear CRC and I need the stock cover snce it wont work with aftermarket. I did notice that they do suggest an aftermarket rear diff cover for this trail.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Slow speed. Biggest thing i see people do is not "crawl". Ive been a spotter alot and said slow down and they never listened and said "i feel im already going slow" many have damaged something down the trail by hitting it to fast or dropping off to fast...
I am DEFINITLEY one that listens. I am a beginner off road so if the spotter tells me to eat a shit sandwhich, I breakin out the Tapatio!

Quick Reply: Anyone Break/Bend a housing at John Bull???