Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27

Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27

I'm bouncing around the idea of hitting some of the fire roads around the Holy Jim Trail this Sunday July 27th! I used to go down to that area when I had my TJ but it's been a few years. Not even sure if I remember how to find the trail head! Anyway, just wondering if anybody would be interested in meeting up somewhere and rolling out together. I am in the Huntington Beach area. I have a stock Sahara so I am not going to be doing anything extreme. Just enjoying the trail and scenery. Hit me up if you would be interested!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is that trail? Never heard of it.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Here is a link: http://www.trailsgalore.com/maps/1000945map.html

That page has a map. It's also called 6W03

It's in the Cleveland National Forest and you need an adventure pass I believe. I honestly don't remember how I used to access the trail. Just starting to look at it again. Just remember some very pretty views. I believe you can take the trail all the way up to Santiago Peak 8 miles in. I tried once but got up into a cloud layer and was forced to turn around due to poor viz.

For some reason the USDA site isn't pulling up for me right now. Google Holy Jim

I literally climbed right up into the clouds last time I was there. Anyway you can see it's an easy trail but pretty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4010548069.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	567076

Name:	image-3970182378.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	567077

Name:	image-3562960618.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	567078
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Ahhh man I would totally go, I grew up 10 minutes from holy Jim. I'm down in San Diego now though.. Il look into the possibility of coming up but I'm not sure how likely it is. The trail is accessed from Rancho Santa Margarita as you head down towards O'neill park.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by idRatherBeOutside
Ahhh man I would totally go, I grew up 10 minutes from holy Jim. I'm down in San Diego now though.. Il look into the possibility of coming up but I'm not sure how likely it is. The trail is accessed from Rancho Santa Margarita as you head down towards O'neill park.
Sweet! My buddy that was going to go has to work now so it's just me. Might still go bum around a little. Thanks for the Rancho Santa Margarita tip. Hit me up if you end up in the area. Maybe another day we can organize a small group to cruise to Santiago Peak. I've been wanting to do that for a few years
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can't access Santiago Peak from Holly Jim. If you want to drive to the peak, you'll need to access the Main Divide trail via either Blue Jay campground off Ortega, or via Maple Springs trail or Black Star canyon road, both of which you'll need to check to see if are open to vehicular traffic.

Also, be very careful if you decide to visit Holly Jim as it's heavily patrolled now and you can be cited if you're off-trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by E-Man
You can't access Santiago Peak from Holly Jim. If you want to drive to the peak, you'll need to access the Main Divide trail via either Blue Jay campground off Ortega, or via Maple Springs trail or Black Star canyon road, both of which you'll need to check to see if are open to vehicular traffic.

Also, be very careful if you decide to visit Holly Jim as it's heavily patrolled now and you can be cited if you're off-trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks E-Man! You are completely right. Main Divide. That's actually what I meant. I found an old trail note that I had written a few years ago Holy Jim on it. I knew it was in that area and I got the two confused. It didn't sound right to me. I absolutely meant Main Divide. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Iv never been up main divide, would be a new experience for me. Iv hiked to the peak several times and hit what I believe is the very top of main divide, a couple miles before you reach all the radio towers and whatnot. I could be wrong. Good info there e-man. Machoo, what are the chances you could make it the weekend of the 3rd?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You only need an adventure pass if you plan to park your vehicle at Holy Jim to hike, mountain bike, etc... There are a few ways up to Santiago peak:

1) Take Indian truck trail 5S01 off the 15
2) Take Main Divide off the Ortega Highway
3) Use Maple Springs Road 5S04 at the end of Silverado Canyon Road

Out of the 3 options, the closest route for you would be Maple Springs Road. I live in Westminster so you and in the same area as I am. It's a very scenic trail to be on either early in the morning or if you can be at the top for the sunset, it's worth seeing. Unfortunately it is very dry and dusty up there so I wouldn't suggest going doorless/topless.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seanb33
You only need an adventure pass if you plan to park your vehicle at Holy Jim to hike, mountain bike, etc... There are a few ways up to Santiago peak:

1) Take Indian truck trail 5S01 off the 15
2) Take Main Divide off the Ortega Highway
3) Use Maple Springs Road 5S04 at the end of Silverado Canyon Road

Out of the 3 options, the closest route for you would be Maple Springs Road. I live in Westminster so you and in the same area as I am. It's a very scenic trail to be on either early in the morning or if you can be at the top for the sunset, it's worth seeing. Unfortunately it is very dry and dusty up there so I wouldn't suggest going doorless/topless.

I went up there yesterday on a whim and it was extremely dry and dusty. Being that I went on a whim, I didnt put the top on. Luckily I put the doors on the day before for my wife, so at least I had that going for me. I was still fun but very hot. If anyone is going, be sure to take some water, if nothing else to rinse the dirt out of your mouth.

Quick Reply: Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27