Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested depending on what time you're planning on being there. It's roughly a 2 hour drive from down here in SD.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Machoo
I'm bouncing around the idea of hitting some of the fire roads around the Holy Jim Trail this Sunday July 27th! I used to go down to that area when I had my TJ but it's been a few years. Not even sure if I remember how to find the trail head! Anyway, just wondering if anybody would be interested in meeting up somewhere and rolling out together. I am in the Huntington Beach area. I have a stock Sahara so I am not going to be doing anything extreme. Just enjoying the trail and scenery. Hit me up if you would be interested!
Machoo are you still going to run this trail on Sunday? If so, what time will you be at the trailhead?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yo

Originally Posted by idRatherBeOutside
Iv never been up main divide, would be a new experience for me. Iv hiked to the peak several times and hit what I believe is the very top of main divide, a couple miles before you reach all the radio towers and whatnot. I could be wrong. Good info there e-man. Machoo, what are the chances you could make it the weekend of the 3rd?
Sorry I went MIA. Was thrown a curve ball at the end of the week! So, the weekend of the 3rd definite possibility! I'm thinking that Saturday the 2nd. You around? Maybe start out pretty early to beat some of the heat! Main Divide up to Santiago!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Default Dusty

Originally Posted by SuperMonster
I went up there yesterday on a whim and it was extremely dry and dusty. Being that I went on a whim, I didnt put the top on. Luckily I put the doors on the day before for my wife, so at least I had that going for me. I was still fun but very hot. If anyone is going, be sure to take some water, if nothing else to rinse the dirt out of your mouth.
Wow! Your interior must be covered! Got any pictures SuperMonster?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Default Not today

Originally Posted by Trail JK
Machoo are you still going to run this trail on Sunday? If so, what time will you be at the trailhead?
Well obviously I didn't make it! Sorry for not responding before today! I am thinking about going up on Saturday the 2nd if anyone wants to join up!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Default Saturday the 2nd?

Originally Posted by grim_creation
I'm interested depending on what time you're planning on being there. It's roughly a 2 hour drive from down here in SD.
How about next Saturday?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

here is the link for the fireroads up there.. Forest Service but the site is down at the momment.. also you dont need a adventure pass only if you stop and park to walk the hiking trails.. i've done most of the trails.. maybe next time ill join you im in irvine..
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Machoo
Wow! Your interior must be covered! Got any pictures SuperMonster?
Nah...I had to hurry and clean it out before the wife got home. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOING UP TO SANTIAGO DURING THE WEEK?? SHOULDNT YOU BE WORKING???" haha
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Message me with the time, I may be able to go. I'm close by in Anaheim. You only need and adventure pass if you plan on parking your Jeep and hiking. It's just so the forestry service doesn't ticket you.

That's a fun trail, but short. The best way is to take El Toro road in Lake Forest until it hits the "Y" at Cook's Corner bar. Take the right fork until you get to Trabuco Creek road around Oneil Park. Then take the left up past the RC Plane airport.

Directions to Main Divide and Santiago Peak. Take Maple Springs Rd out of Silverado Canyon to the top and make the right at the Main Divide Rd. to Santiago Peak on Saddle Back Mountain. The trail head is at 33°44'51.69"N 117°34'59.04"W. I did the full run from Ortega Hwy to the Maple springs. 25 miles took about 3.5 hours. You can do the north side of the Main divide road but all the gates going down into Orange and Corona are closed at the top. It's still a fun drive but you have to double back to Maple Springs to get down. Holy Jim is fun, but short.

Here is a picture of the 91-71 interchange from Sierra Peak. But like I said, it's a couple hour drive back to get down.

The second picture is Trabuco Canyon from the Main Divide rd.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91-71InterchangeSierraPeak.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	568142   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrabucoCanyonFromDivideRd.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	568143  

Last edited by groovebus; 07-29-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Default Haha

Originally Posted by SuperMonster
Nah...I had to hurry and clean it out before the wife got home. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOING UP TO SANTIAGO DURING THE WEEK?? SHOULDNT YOU BE WORKING???" haha
HAHA! That's funny!

Quick Reply: Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27