Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Joshua Tree

Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joshua Tree

Heading out this weekend for a family camping trip. Looking for trail suggestions and or wheeling buddy if you wil be in the neiborhood.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

There really isn't much in the National Park.
Mainly fire roads.
Check out Sunfair Dry Lake area. It is close to the National Park and has a few mines and lots of rocky trails.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed^^^ lived in 29 for 5years. Look at big bear as well.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input... We have run just about everything in big bear except the hard core runs, ie; JB , Dishpan( really want to try, but have no lockers).

We have never Been to Joshua so just want to check it out. Going solo so not really looking for technical, just pretty.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Berdoo Canyon road is an easy but fun drive

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisi.../berdooMAP.pdf
Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello from Indio! Joshua Tree Park is practically in my back yard. Lived out here for most of my life, so I have a pretty good dig on Joshua Tree Park and the places to wheel. I personally access the park from the South via Jeep trails. Berdoo Canyon is just minutes from my house, so it makes all the sense in the world to head into the park via that route, but it's not the only access point. If your going to be camping in the park and looking for good trails to explore, might I suggest the east end of the park. There are literally miles and miles of fun and challenging trails in the Old Dale area....which is the old mining district. There are lots of old mines/tunnels and plenty of ruins to look at. I would give myself a solid day for this area due to the massive amount of sites and trails to explore. The other area to visit is down at the south end of the park in Cotton Wood Springs....near the ranger station is the entrance to Pinkham Canyon Jeep trail. This trail is located just feet from the parking lot and will take you west into the enormous and vast area of Pinkham Canyon. This is a relatively long jeep trail....some 12 miles from end to end, so pack a lunch for this one. Along the way you will be amazed at the extreme beauty of this canyon. Some points of interest are Snow Cloud Mine and Thermal Canyon Trail. Anyway you decide, your gonna run out of time, there's just way to much to see in a single weekend!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I went for my first time this year and was hoping to do a little exploring in my jeep. Sure there are 4x4 trails, but all the cool things to see are short hikes away. So chances are you will miss out on the beauty of the place if your main purpose is to 4wheel. Do yourself a favor.. hike some trails ;-) the Jeep will be there when u get back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_64336605217743.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	608777   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150429_184535.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	608778   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150429_184552.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	608779   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150429_184609.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	608780   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150429_184640.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	608781  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150429_184707.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	608782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_64349526055146.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	608783  

Last edited by SaFFFari; 04-29-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bonebreak98
Hello from Indio! Joshua Tree Park is practically in my back yard. Lived out here for most of my life, so I have a pretty good dig on Joshua Tree Park and the places to wheel. I personally access the park from the South via Jeep trails. Berdoo Canyon is just minutes from my house, so it makes all the sense in the world to head into the park via that route, but it's not the only access point. If your going to be camping in the park and looking for good trails to explore, might I suggest the east end of the park. There are literally miles and miles of fun and challenging trails in the Old Dale area....which is the old mining district. There are lots of old mines/tunnels and plenty of ruins to look at. I would give myself a solid day for this area due to the massive amount of sites and trails to explore. The other area to visit is down at the south end of the park in Cotton Wood Springs....near the ranger station is the entrance to Pinkham Canyon Jeep trail. This trail is located just feet from the parking lot and will take you west into the enormous and vast area of Pinkham Canyon. This is a relatively long jeep trail....some 12 miles from end to end, so pack a lunch for this one. Along the way you will be amazed at the extreme beauty of this canyon. Some points of interest are Snow Cloud Mine and Thermal Canyon Trail. Anyway you decide, your gonna run out of time, there's just way to much to see in a single weekend!
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Beers
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
I went for my first time this year and was hoping to do a little exploring in my jeep. Sure there are 4x4 trails, but all the cool things to see are short hikes away. So chances are you will miss out on the beauty of the place if your main purpose is to 4wheel. Do yourself a favor.. hike some trails ;-) the Jeep will be there when u get back
We will definitely be mixing it up. My son likes to go on both what he calls "jeep hikes" and "body hikes".
Old 05-02-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Joshua Tree was the very first place I have taken my Jeep. There's a simple fun trail on the south side you can take out of the park. It end up by the truck stop. I have also explored the BLM area on the east side. Even though it's easy wheeling try to have at least one other Jeep with you. Be safe and have a good time.

Quick Reply: Joshua Tree