Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Looking at relocation, possibly Bakersfield?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bako sucks... no question about it.

As Rob pointed out... it is very centrally located. LA is also two hours away and you can have all the culture one could ask for.

Now... as much as Bako sucks, you'll be hard pressed to find a better community of wheelers. There are several 4x4 clubs out in Bako which range from religious to wild, something for everyone.

Cost of living there is very reasonable for California.

And as far as the '08 is concerned.... some of my best friends are Daliens.... trashy and all.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Bakersfield. Looks a lot like OK but with mountains (when the smog lets you see them). Politically right leaning. 4 wheeling wise its about 6 hours to loone lake (the Rubicon). 3 hours to johnson valley (the hammers, cougar butes). 2 hours from the coast. 3 hours to Shaver Lake area (Best trails in Cali IMO). There are several Jeep Trails within an hour or two of town. Summer can really suck here sometimes, high temps in the 100-110 range are typical.

As far as crime goes its like anywhere, there are bad parts and good parts of town. Stay away from MLK Boulevard and Cottonwood Road and pretty much everywhere else is pretty normal except Oildale (Not necessarily bad people but definitely trailer trashy).
Sounds reasonable, comparing crime rates Bakersfield is safer than where I am now.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABENDX

As Rob pointed out... it is very centrally located. LA is also two hours away and you can have all the culture one could ask for.

Now... as much as Bako sucks, you'll be hard pressed to find a better community of wheelers. There are several 4x4 clubs out in Bako which range from religious to wild, something for everyone.

And as far as the '08 is concerned.... some of my best friends are Daliens.... trashy and all.
Thank you for the information. I am lived in LA before, or a suburb to be more specific. Spent a lot of time up at Silver Lake.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you have not checked yet look at city-data.com Lots of stats on that site on just about everything.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ABENDX

Yea I have a few friends in the '08 but I sure wouldnt want to live there. Kinda reminds me of a few jokes:

If an Oildale couple get divorced are they still brother and sister?

How do you know the Toothbrush was invented in Oildale? Anywhere else it would have been called a Teethbrush.

Its kinda like the WV of Central California.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Kinda reminds me of a few jokes

Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I am moving foward. Phone interview went well and I have been selected for a face to face. Fly out Thursday night and interview Friday morning. Cant wait to see the area, the only problem is it will be quick turn around. My departing flight leaves Bakersfield at just after 1:00pm Friday.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Good Luck.......
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck!

Bakersfield isn't bad at all like the others have said. There are a LOT of 4-wheelers there. BTW, I live east of B'field on the other side of the Sierra's in Ridgecrest. Pretty good group of Jeepers over here too.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind a little commute take look at living in Tehachapi. Four seasons, up above the smog, cooler in summer. There may be a lift served mountain bike park in near future too. Excellent grub at the Red House BBQ and Apple Shed.

Quick Reply: Looking at relocation, possibly Bakersfield?