Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

North County San Diego trails?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North County San Diego trails?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum...I'll be in Escondido this Friday and was wondering if anyone knew any good areas to hit that are near there? Palomar mountain?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdog21
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum...I'll be in Escondido this Friday and was wondering if anyone knew any good areas to hit that are near there? Palomar mountain?
Depends on what you are looking to do. Palomar is great for the scenery but not challenging. There's SM Hills which is called Lawrence Welk by some...very rutted out and challenging but don't go alone as we've seen a lot of carnage up there.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Ha Ha! Thx for the warning! Ya, this is just a quick fun run with my son for the day. Are there any good Jeep clubs based out of Diego or Oarnge County. I'd like to start banging out some more challenging runs, with backup and people who know wtf they're doing.

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!
There is a group going on the Cleghorn Ridge Trail on Friday morning. It is kinda far (approx 100 miles from Escondido to the trailhead) but a nice day run. It's a basic fire road with by-pass trails that make it tougher. There is a thread on the SoCal page or let me know if you want more info.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool North County Trails

1. This Forum has members "hitting the trails" every weekend and many times during the week of a holiday.
I suggest you go to the "Staging Area" section on this Forum and click on "SoCal" to see what's going on over this weekend. Lots.

2. The Anza Borrego Desert State Park is about 75 miles east of Escondido, just get on Rt 78 and keep driving until you get there. There are over 500 miles of off road trails to run ranging from easy to OMG !. A few miles further east is the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area with even more trails - but it is the area frequented by motorcycles, quads, three wheelers and sand rails where they all act bat-crap crazy sailing over sand dunes and spinning themselves in circles until they puke. Personally, I stay clear of this area, especially on Thanksgiving weekend.

3. You are in off road paradise ! DON'T GO ALONE !
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Great info, thx! I'll be checking the Staging area regularly now. Have a great holiday!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget about Truckhaven training facility. It's 2 hours from Escondido it's located off the sr-22 and the hwy-86 next to the salton sea. Nice safe place to play around

Quick Reply: North County San Diego trails?