Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

"In Development" EXO-TOP for JK (Soft Top - Roof Rack System) Feed back wanted!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "In Development" EXO-TOP for JK (Soft Top - Roof Rack System) Feed back wanted!

I know we are more than 6 months out, and some of you dislike manufactures posting up new products before they are ready to go on sale... but.... we just think you guys may like to see what we are thinking of. We displayed two early prototype development tops at SEMA this year. The top system is really a roof rack and soft top all in one. The system allows you to load your roof rack with gear and still have the freedom to use your Jeeps soft top as intended. You will now have the freedom of using the flip back feature (in our case SLIDE back) of the front part of your top, go into sun top feature, 1/2 rear sun top feature, 1/2 front sun top feature, roll bar, sound bar storage of the top as well as lowering it into the stock down location without EVER unloading your rack or tilting it back....

The pictures are of my JK with the 2dr version in place..... I have been playing with it for about 2 months and honestly love the flexability...
Let us know your thoughts and concerns... AND YES... we do have the 4dr in development as well. We are shooting for a mid-late summer 2014 release.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ful closed 2.jpg
Views:	2223
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	514901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun Slider.jpg
Views:	2623
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	514902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows removed.jpg
Views:	8034
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	514903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun top.jpg
Views:	1897
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	514904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Half sun top . sun slider.jpg
Views:	2040
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	514905  

Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

Few more images showing the system in a full top down arrangement. Keep in mind that all the top movement has been done without touching the roof rack. You can have a full load on the rack and it does not need to be touched to use your soft top. Also, YES, the 4 door version is also in development and will be released at the same time. We are getting a lot of rain and I don't have good images of the 4dr just yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rolled top sound bar.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	514907   Click image for larger version

Name:	top down traditional location.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	514908   Click image for larger version

Name:	sun top front half.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	514909  
Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good. If i was a vendor id post it early to get some feedback also... do they work with a hardtop on also or just the soft top? Im sure one could make it work..
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Maertz
looks good. If i was a vendor id post it early to get some feedback also... do they work with a hardtop on also or just the soft top? Im sure one could make it work..
The racks are designed for soft top use only as this is where there is an opportunity for something new and different. We just released our new Sherpa Racks for the 4dr and 2dr that work with the hardtop. Now what I will say is that we will carry this look (smaller low profile) rack to a bolt to the hardtop design in the future.

As for the reasons of posting up before it is ready, for the market, you have two trains of thinking... Some within a company, like ours, want to keep the cards close to their chest... I think that when you have the idea in development and you covered yourself from a patent standpoint why not get the feedback, cards on the table if you will. We did this with the modular snorkel and feel it was a great experience working with the future customers and getting something they had input on.

Last edited by Rugged_Ridge; 12-06-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
The racks are designed for soft top use only as this is where there is an opportunity for something new and different. We just released our new Sherpa Racks for the 4dr and 2dr that work with the hardtop. Now what I will say is that we will carry this look (smaller low profile) rack to a bolt to the hardtop design in the future.

As for the reasons of posting up before it is ready, for the market, you have two trains of thinking... Some within a company, like ours, want to keep the cards close to their chest... I think that when you have the idea in development and you covered yourself from a patent standpoint why not get the feedback. We did this with the modular snorkel and feel it was a great experience working with the future customers and getting something they had input on.
I completely agree and why not get some preorders! Thanks for the info.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the expected load capacity and where does it mount?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karls
What's the expected load capacity and where does it mount?

From a liability standpoint we will be looking for around 300 - 400lbs for a safe load. Liability is really what drives these numbers for any manufacture making roof racks...
With that said our mounting brackets are showing a load range of about 1200 lbs for each side. This is just for these parts and are the base for the rack. You want these numbers high because everything afterwards (the rack itself) will start to reduce the capacity quickly. We don't have official numbers just yet and want until we are close to production. We are shooting for a good usable (SAFE) number, otherwise what's the purpose?

The rack mounts to the factory hardtop points on the body tube. No cutting or drilling will be required. The side windows are designed to seal around the support brackets that extend out to the rack. The windows then secure to the body tub in the normal factory manner.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
From a liability standpoint we will be looking for around 300 - 400lbs for a safe load. Liability is really what drives these numbers for any manufacture making roof racks...
With that said our mounting brackets are showing a load range of about 1200 lbs for each side. This is just for these parts and are the base for the rack. You want these numbers high because everything afterwards (the rack itself) will start to reduce the capacity quickly. We don't have official numbers just yet and want until we are close to production. We are shooting for a good usable (SAFE) number, otherwise what's the purpose?

The rack mounts to the factory hardtop points on the body tube. No cutting or drilling will be required. The side windows are designed to seal around the support brackets that extend out to the rack. The windows then secure to the body tub in the normal factory manner.
ha thats brilliant. keep it simple.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 300-400lbs you're certainly above typical SUV racks and beyond the DIY cherokee racks. Well done.

Very neat idea that you get all of the support and functionality without drilling, I think that will be a big selling point for anyone on the fence but wants (needs) a functional roof rack with the soft top.

Keep up the good work, this is certainly something I never thought I'd see.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

This is great news! Exactly what I need.

Quick Reply: "In Development" EXO-TOP for JK (Soft Top - Roof Rack System) Feed back wanted!