Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

NEW ORA Night Guard LED Headlights

Old 01-31-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off Road Additions - Dan
Would you be interested in a full led replacement which would run $100++ or an LED bulb that would match the color temperature but put out less light, at around $30? If we get the requests we can fulfill them
Dan, I would be very interested in a full replacement around that price point assuming it "matches" the headlights. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

How much to 27522
Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see in a previous reply you said you are giving free shipping. Can I get the code for that? Also have you finished the anti-flicker hareness yet? If not could I use one like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/170889388985...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thank You
Old 02-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor

All quotes sent and questions answered!

Last edited by Off Road Additions - Dan; 02-01-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Shipping to 20712
Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dozer311
Shipping to 20712
Quote sent!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

shipped to 80020
Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JeepAdiction
shipped to 80020
Quote sent!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
2 Pictures, taken form this video:

Hi Beam:
Attachment 594609

Low Beam:
Attachment 594610

Dan, my intention is constructive, and based on knowledge & experience in both lighting and start up developments, so please take it with this intention in mind.

First, it's a bit hard to assess the full potential of the lights from these stills & video, because they seem to be aimed pretty low.
Second reservation is that cameras tend to increase contrast. This means that darker areas may look darker than they are in reality, compared to brighter areas.
Because of these two reasons, I may be somewhat off, and the lights may be better than what the pics & video show.

The High lights pic shows a very bright hot spot right in front of the Jeep, which disturbs seeing further away - which is the very purpose of high lights.
However, I have yet to see how it looks with properly aimed lights.

The low lights, too, don't light far enough.

Beam width of both hi & low is a bit narrow, not enough light to the sides.
Even with the pretty low aiming, there's a dark area right in front of the Jeep, which will be longer when the lights are aimed higher.

Overall, the images show something that's expected from multiple & similar reflectors, arranged in (approximately) a circle -- a circular light spread.
Here comes in R&D, and 'generation II'... In order to make the light spread start nearer the front of the Jeep, go further to the sides, and "smear" the high light hot spot over a larger area, two things can be done.
One, is to have the reflectors sit on a horizontal arc - a curve - so the outer reflectors are pointed more to the sides, and those more to the center don't all 'look' forward but form a bit of a horizontal arc too.
The other and more complicated approach, is using reflectors with varying parabolas.
Both methods can be combined.

If you go this way, you can eventually have the best headlights in the market, including TL and JWS.

Again, camera limitation may have shown a distorted balance between brighter and darker areas.
The way to bypass this problem is somewhat tricky, but possible: Taking the pics in twilight time, so there's enough ambient light to reduce the contrast issue, yet weak enough light to show what the headlights do.

I'm very curious to see what these lights do when properly aimed.
Gjeep, can you please explain what you mean by taking the pics in twilight time? The examples I took were taken where there is no other light source other that the head lights themselves, or the rock lights you can see under the jeep as seen in some of the photos. I can understand how you can have a hard time really matching light output to what the human eye may be seeing. Here are 3 examples of what can happen when not taking in to account proper adjustments with the camera settings.

Picture #1

To the human eye this is about how bright the day time running lights look. In order to achieve this the photo needs to be underexposed. An exposure setting that allows less light to enter the camera is what helps here. This limits the amount of light in to the camera and prevents creating an effect that will cause them to look brighter than they are.

Picture #2

The lights are looking brighter now due to having the shutter open longer, causing more light to enter the camera, which in turn makes the light source look brighter than it truly is.

Picture #3

Camera set to allow shutter to be open longer than it should to show potential of drl leds, but it does allow more of a closer look to how much ambient light there is outside of my house at night. You can see the jeep now, but in turn the lights look insanely bright and washed out.

Now all 3 pics were taken from the same spot of the same light source but at different shutter settings. This is to provide examples of how difficult it can be to properly match the light output to the human eye and that different settings are needed to allow more accurate depictions of output.

On to the pictures I provided. Each was taken at minimum 3 different shutter speeds to allow different amounts of light to enter the camera, providing several to choose from when editing to best match what my eye was seeing that night in person.

As for proper aiming of these lights, as you can see on this 8ft garage door, the light cut off is already pushing going past the 3ft mark. These were adjusted to best fit my application. It may not be the same for you or it may take beam other adjustments to make you happy when going down the road, but for me this works. When compared to the stock ones I replaced it is literally night and day.

I can pull out a tape measure to get a more accurate picture if anyone is interested. I took this shot to help show light spread and cut off. For the hi beams I may not of represented their performance as well as I could. A better example would of been to shine them on something that rises more from the horizon and park further away to show how hi and far they do reach. The hi beam does focus a lot just in front of the jeep but it does throw much further as well. The hot spot shown in the video I took is more due to the quality of the video camera on my iPhone. The light is not distracting to the eye and it does throw further than it looks.

To adress the dark spot in front of the jeep, it is not something that is noticeable from the cab. I felt that the gap was actually something I didn't notice until outside of the jeep. Is that because I should aim them up some higher? Maybe, but when going down the road I felt that it was unnecessary. I felt raising them would bother on coming traffic, and with how they are positioned now no one has flashed me since the install on Friday.

If you do have any more suggestions on how to accurately depict their performance please do let me know. I enjoy doing the photography side of it as well as the play with the jeep side. You have pretty good technical info to provide towards the topic.

Last edited by JAM85; 02-02-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

How much to 94506?

Quick Reply: NEW ORA Night Guard LED Headlights