Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Poison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire Carrier

Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you be able to tell me the total weight of the carrier? My jeep is already heavy with all the mods but I like the idea and the look of this carrier. My current bumper mounted carrier is about to die.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by likes2jeep
Would you be able to tell me the total weight of the carrier? My jeep is already heavy with all the mods but I like the idea and the look of this carrier. My current bumper mounted carrier is about to die.
The shipping weight is 74 lbs. That includes about 4-5 lbs. of box and packing material.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

I have this tire carrier and must say I really like it but did run into a couple issues installing it. The plate that goes behind the driver 1/4 panel would not fit for the life of me and had to be cut down about an inch to get the bolts to line up or for it to even sit flush to 1/4 panel. The other is the aluminum spacer that is suppose to go on to the latching mechanism would not go on, it is ever so slightly too small in diameter and works just fine without the spacer. All in all I'm stoked with the carrier and like that I can still mount RotoX packs to it. My question is what needs to be bought for the HiLift to be mounted?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must say I really like this tire carrier. It solves some concerns I had with the GenRight design. But I don't like how the HiLife is mounted, the long downside overhang could be a vulnerable point.

[QUOTE=DTS;4041403]We're starting to see some customer-installed photos of these JK Body Mounted Tire Carriers now...
Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance this will work with the off road evolution corners?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oloolo
I must say I really like this tire carrier. It solves some concerns I had with the GenRight design. But I don't like how the HiLife is mounted, the long downside overhang could be a vulnerable point.

Rumor has it they are working on different ways to mount the hi lift. But till it's from their mouth who knows. I'm still waiting on mine to get delivered.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:39 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Any chance this will work with the off road evolution corners?
Probably, but not without some extra work. I think the EVO corners are flat vertically. The latch plate of our carrier is curved to fit the slight vertical curve of the Jeep's tub. It fits our corners because they are also curved. But the ones that are flat (EVO, River Raider, etc.) would be a problem. One work-around I can think of would be to cut a rectangular notch out of the plate of the EVO corner to let the latch plate seat right against the body. But you'd lose the extra strength you would have gained if it was bolted through the corner itself.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dusty,

I noticed on the PSC webpage that the picture has two tabs welded in at the top of the stinger. Is this for Highlift Jacks?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by RedSyndrome
Dusty,

I noticed on the PSC webpage that the picture has two tabs welded in at the top of the stinger. Is this for Highlift Jacks?
Yes. There are now two options for mounting the jack. In the original position, vertical on the passenger side, or the new position horizontal across the top.

Last edited by DTS; 04-13-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DTS
Yes. There are now two options for mounting the jack. In the original position, vertical on the passenger side, or the new position horizontal across the top.

I know you've mentioned before that this isn't designed for hard core use, but I want to know if I can safely mount TWO 4 gallon rotopax containers in the rear or vertically on the left side and not be over stressing the carrier.... I do moderate wheeling, occasional crawling but nothing that I'd consider hard core... I'm more concerned about how it'll hold up to weight with 100's of miles of wash board roads.... Would you recommend a bumper swing out instead??

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire Carrier