Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Poison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire Carrier

Old 07-13-2015, 06:47 AM
DTS
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Signayi
I know you've mentioned before that this isn't designed for hard core use, but I want to know if I can safely mount TWO 4 gallon rotopax containers in the rear or vertically on the left side and not be over stressing the carrier.... I do moderate wheeling, occasional crawling but nothing that I'd consider hard core... I'm more concerned about how it'll hold up to weight with 100's of miles of wash board roads.... Would you recommend a bumper swing out instead??
You should be fine. Its not because of the weight on the carrier that we say its not for hard core wheeling. It can handle as much weight as you can put on it. What we're not so confident in is whether it can handle the weight of the whole Jeep, or the inertia of that much mass in free-fall coming to a sudden stop on the tire carrier, which can occur in certain situations when you're coming off a ledge and hang the Jeep by the spare tire. In cases like that we believe our design is stronger than the competition, but we still advise against choosing it if that is going to be a common occurrence with your type of wheeling. But sure it can handle the extra weight of more roto-pax cans no problem.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTS
You should be fine. Its not because of the weight on the carrier that we say its not for hard core wheeling. It can handle as much weight as you can put on it. What we're not so confident in is whether it can handle the weight of the whole Jeep, or the inertia of that much mass in free-fall coming to a sudden stop on the tire carrier, which can occur in certain situations when you're coming off a ledge and hang the Jeep by the spare tire. In cases like that we believe our design is stronger than the competition, but we still advise against choosing it if that is going to be a common occurrence with your type of wheeling. But sure it can handle the extra weight of more roto-pax cans no problem.
You feel your design is stronger than the competition meaning evo's spare tire carrier and gen right spare tire carrier or are you talking about or fab? Just glancing at your design it appears as though your weak point is on the driver side mounting point it appears as though there is a latch of some sort where is the passenger side it mounts to the hinges similar to gen rights.

I will say having had a gem right tire carrier their driver side mount seems a little stronger than yours. And as far as evo their tire carrier considering it is tube and Johnny joints is by far stronger. So I don't know who you are competing with here but unless your competition for this carrier is or fab I don't know as though yours is stronger than the other two.

I will say I like how your carrier tucks in more though than genright and evo.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:18 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by jkd3624
You feel your design is stronger than the competition meaning evo's spare tire carrier and gen right spare tire carrier or are you talking about or fab? Just glancing at your design it appears as though your weak point is on the driver side mounting point it appears as though there is a latch of some sort where is the passenger side it mounts to the hinges similar to gen rights.

I will say having had a gem right tire carrier their driver side mount seems a little stronger than yours. And as far as evo their tire carrier considering it is tube and Johnny joints is by far stronger. So I don't know who you are competing with here but unless your competition for this carrier is or fab I don't know as though yours is stronger than the other two.

I will say I like how your carrier tucks in more though than genright and evo.
I try not to specifically target competitors by name in our own threads as I feel its bad form. But you deserve a response so here goes. The EVO tire carrier is built like a brick shithouse, we don't feel ours is competitive with theirs solely on the basis of brute strength, and that's not one we're talking about when we make our claim. Its not really a fair comparison because the EVO one requires the use of their corners, and in reality the tire carrier is part of a larger package that includes the corners too. There is a target market for that product but in most cases it is a different customer than those looking for a stand-alone tire carrier like this. So the main competition for this one is the Gen-Right carrier. On the driver's side, our mounting system uses braces on the inside of the body tub corner to brace the latch plate to the heavier gauge sheetmetal that's found on the inner body tub, rather than simply bolting to the outer sheet metal like theirs does. Our latch plate that bolts to the body on the driver's side is a fabricated box that is formed to follow the curvature of the JK's body, rather than a single piece of sheet metal that is meant to bend against the thin body sheet metal to form around that curve. Check out the detailed product descriptions on our website, download the installation instructions (which we provide for download for anyone to see whether or not they buy the product, unlike some of our competitors), and you'll get a full idea of it.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTS
I try not to specifically target competitors by name in our own threads as I feel its bad form. But you deserve a response so here goes. The EVO tire carrier is built like a brick shithouse, we don't feel ours is competitive with theirs solely on the basis of brute strength, and that's not one we're talking about when we make our claim. Its not really a fair comparison because the EVO one requires the use of their corners, and in reality the tire carrier is part of a larger package that includes the corners too. There is a target market for that product but in most cases it is a different customer than those looking for a stand-alone tire carrier like this. So the main competition for this one is the Gen-Right carrier. On the driver's side, our mounting system uses braces on the inside of the body tub corner to brace the latch plate to the heavier gauge sheetmetal that's found on the inner body tub, rather than simply bolting to the outer sheet metal like theirs does. Our latch plate that bolts to the body on the driver's side is a fabricated box that is formed to follow the curvature of the JK's body, rather than a single piece of sheet metal that is meant to bend against the thin body sheet metal to form around that curve. Check out the detailed product descriptions on our website, download the installation instructions (which we provide for download for anyone to see whether or not they buy the product, unlike some of our competitors), and you'll get a full idea of it.
I like the looks of yours but the part that makes me nervous about it is the way it latches and how that will work once road salt and everything else gets in there. I have had the genright carrier and feel that it is a great product superior to you so don't know but the way it does mount it is solid.

That being said I am a true psc fan as I love your fender flares those are as solid as can be, your rock rails and bumpers. This time round I am going with evo corners and tire carrier just due to the price point. End result to get the same package of corners and tire carrier from you guys I'm saving 300 dollars roughly.

And while your products do offer instructions prior to install I can say my experience with your customer service has lacked when installing the rock rails on a four door. It was surprising to me when it came up having to reuse 6 bolts that I didn't have because I didn't have factory steps it was frustrating after paying the amount I did for the rock rails. Then when I called to get help to find the thread and size of the bolts the first guy told me to call a dealer and the second guy said he didn't know. It took me going to lowes buying several bolts close and size and guess and check and see what fit up in there. So I am a little nervous about purchasing again unless I have experience with past product specifically from you guys.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by jkd3624
I like the looks of yours but the part that makes me nervous about it is the way it latches and how that will work once road salt and everything else gets in there. I have had the genright carrier and feel that it is a great product superior to you so don't know but the way it does mount it is solid.

That being said I am a true psc fan as I love your fender flares those are as solid as can be, your rock rails and bumpers. This time round I am going with evo corners and tire carrier just due to the price point. End result to get the same package of corners and tire carrier from you guys I'm saving 300 dollars roughly.

And while your products do offer instructions prior to install I can say my experience with your customer service has lacked when installing the rock rails on a four door. It was surprising to me when it came up having to reuse 6 bolts that I didn't have because I didn't have factory steps it was frustrating after paying the amount I did for the rock rails. Then when I called to get help to find the thread and size of the bolts the first guy told me to call a dealer and the second guy said he didn't know. It took me going to lowes buying several bolts close and size and guess and check and see what fit up in there. So I am a little nervous about purchasing again unless I have experience with past product specifically from you guys.
I'm glad you're happy with whatever product you chose for your own Jeep. There are lots of products out there, no one product is going to be perfect for everyone. Even though you chose someone else's, I appreciate you taking the time to consider ours. Best of luck with whatever you have or go with in the future.

With regards to your rock rails, I'm sorry my customer service folks didn't have an answer for your question on the factory hardware size. I'm not sure exactly which product of ours you were trying to install, but I'll see if I can figure it out and try to look up those hardware sizes so we can include that information in the instructions for others who like you might not have the factory hardware available and will need to source it. BTW, any time you have a question or concern about any of our products or customer service that you can't get a satisfactory response to, please PM me or email me personally at dusty@poisonspyder.com. I can look into it myself and try to get you the answers you need.

That said, discussing other manufacturer's products in sponsoring vendors' own product threads is generally discouraged. Like I said before I try to refrain from singling out other vendors in our own threads and for the most part the other users also follow that etiquette. You're welcome to do so all you want out in the open forums. But here in the vendor forums we try to keep it positive and focused on that sponsoring vendor's product.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure why some people are suggesting bumper (frame) carriers when he asked for body. Honestly...I have 39s and been using this Rugged Ridge HD carrier for years. Works great. Could mount tanks too.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK HOLE

Not sure why some people are suggesting bumper (frame) carriers when he asked for body. Honestly...I have 39s and been using this Rugged Ridge HD carrier for years. Works great. Could mount tanks too.
I think you caught the wrong thread on this reply. I know the one you were trying to get it on.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I think you caught the wrong thread on this reply. I know the one you were trying to get it on.
Thats really wild and weird. I never even went into this thread. Thank you for letting me know.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire Carrier