Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Poison Spyder RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
DTS
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison Spyder RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper is the latest evolution in JK rear bumpers, incorporating many features requested by customers, and product improvements born of real world use and testing of the original RockBrawler. This bumper combines the best features to maximize performance on the toughest trails with some of the more refined traits not normally needed on a dedicated rock crawler. Its most prominent feature is the all new RockBrawler II Tire Carrier, which connects to the tailgate for easy, single-action opening. It's also slightly wider and deeper than the original RockBrawler for increased corner protection, and features an integrated hitch.

The RockBrawler II Spare Tire Carrier's Single-Action-Opening feature is a huge convenience for when you're trying to open the tailgate and tire carrier with one hand, when you've got an armload of gear or groceries in the other. Rather than latching to itself, the RockBrawler II tire carrier is tethered to the tailgate so that they open and close in tandem. A custom designed tie-rod assembly, bumper mechanism and Tramp Stamp keep the two pieces perfectly aligned when open, but tight and rattle-free when closed.

The RockBrawler II Spare Tire Carrier is fabricated entirely from CNC laser cut, precision brake-formed plate steel. The pieces are expertly welded together in a specially designed assembly fixture to ensure consistent fit and quality. A web gusset design is cut into the corner of the tire carrier to provide a little Poison Spyder flare. The RockBrawler II Tire Carrier uses the same high quality, extremely heavy duty hinge/spindle assembly that is used on the original RockBrawler Tire Carrier, featuring a CNC precision machined spindle, Timken tapered roller bearings, and CNC machined billet cap.

Like the original RockBrawler Rear Bumper, the RockBrawler II bumper shell is fabricated from CNC laser cut, brake-formed 3/16" plate steel. The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper's high clearance, multi-faceted design provides the best possible departure angles and corner obstacle clearance. The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper is slightly wider and deeper (front to back), when compared to the original RockBrawler Rear Bumper.

The integrated hitch receiver accepts standard 2" hitches and recovery accessories. It is built in to the structure of the RockBrawler™ II Rear Bumper in order to provide a higher clearance, tougher hitch that's there when you need it, but tucked up higher out of the way for better clearance and departure angles on the trail. Includes integrated safety chain loops. IMPORTANT: The integrated hitch receiver is not rated for towing. It is intended as a recovery attachment point.

Like the original RockBrawler Rear Bumper, the RockBrawler II features recessed backup lamp buckets made to accept a pair of 2-1/2" round LED lamps. The RockBrawler II also features an improved mounting system, with an adjustable flange on one side to accommodate the slight manufacturing variances in Jeep frames that we've seen over the years, which could sometimes make mounting the original RockBrawler bumper a little tricky. Another feature of the RockBrawler II is that it does not require the relocation of the license plate, as is the case with the original RockBrawler. But we do provide the bracket for mounting the license plate on the spare tire carrier, if the installer chooses to do so. And one more difference from the original RockBrawler is that the 1" thick CNC machined high clearance recovery shackle tabs are now standard equipment on the RockBrawler II.

The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier sells for $1479 "Spyder Direct" on our website, or may be purchased through any of our authorized Poison Spyder Dealers.

Product Spotlight video for the RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier:

http://youtu.be/Su1HYZRflkY

Last edited by DTS; 04-24-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this, ALOT!
But come on, what's the deal with the integrated hitch not a hitch? It's a recovery point? You already have (2) RP's on the rear, and since when do recovery points need safety chain loops?
Not being able to use this as a hitch (even though you know people are going to) would make this a deal breaker for me. Spend the money and get it rated or don't include it at all!

Regards,
Frank

Last edited by Flywrangler; 04-05-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
I like this, ALOT!
But come on, what's the deal with the integrated hitch not a hitch? It's a recovery point? You already have (2) RP's on the rear.
Not being able to use this as a hitch (even though you know people are going to) would make this a deal breaker for me. Spend the money and get it rated or don't include it at all!

Regards,
Frank
Its just a matter of legality and liability. We haven't had the independent lab testing done to get a tow rating on it. So technically we can't advertise it as a tow hitch even though we believe it is actually stronger than the OE hitch. What you do with it and how you use it after you buy it is up to you, but for liability reasons we can't actually say its a tow hitch. I hope you understand where we're coming from on that.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I know exactly where you're coming from, and I think you're doing your customers a disservice and opening them up to liability for this. If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, swims like a duck, it's going to be used like one....and you know this. To pass on the potential liability to the customer seems a little selfish. PSC makes some of the very best accessories out there...I have your front bumber and love it, and I reallllllly want this one too, but you should really invest in getting this tested so that it can be used as it was, very apparently, intended.

The design and function of this bumper is amazing and I'm sorry for thread crapping....this is all I have to say about this and I hope your sales go well. If you can get this certified, I'd buy it instantly!

Regards,
Frank
Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

How much is just the bumper with no carrier? Is there an option to not get the receiver and still use the OEM receiver. I really don't car about ground clearance but do care about towing.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
Yeah, I know exactly where you're coming from, and I think you're doing your customers a disservice and opening them up to liability for this. If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, swims like a duck, it's going to be used like one....and you know this. To pass on the potential liability to the customer seems a little selfish. PSC makes some of the very best accessories out there...I have your front bumber and love it, and I reallllllly want this one too, but you should really invest in getting this tested so that it can be used as it was, very apparently, intended.

The design and function of this bumper is amazing and I'm sorry for thread crapping....this is all I have to say about this and I hope your sales go well. If you can get this certified, I'd buy it instantly!

Regards,
Frank
Well you call it a disservice, but we are just trying to be honest about it so that customers are fully informed and can make their own decisions. We do intend to start getting tow ratings done at some point. But as of right now we're still a pretty small company and getting all the independent lab testing and regulatory work done is pretty costly and not quite feasible for us yet. But we hope to be at that level soon. For what its worth, we're not alone in this. Most small aftermarket manufacturers like us are in the same boat. You'd have trouble finding actual tow ratings for any but those made by the largest companies. But like I said we hope to be at that level before too long, and until then we just want people to be well informed.

Originally Posted by Kurtismcm
How much is just the bumper with no carrier? Is there an option to not get the receiver and still use the OEM receiver. I really don't car about ground clearance but do care about towing.
This bumper will be available without the tire carrier at a later date, once we've worked through all of the initial orders for it with the tire carrier. I won't have a price for it until then. But if what you want is this bumper without the carrier and without the hitch, you should look at our original RockBrawler Rear Bumper without the tire carrier, which does not have an integrated hitch but allows you to use the OE one. It is essentially what you're asking for.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DTS

Well you call it a disservice, but we are just trying to be honest about it so that customers are fully informed and can make their own decisions. We do intend to start getting tow ratings done at some point. But as of right now we're still a pretty small company and getting all the independent lab testing and regulatory work done is pretty costly and not quite feasible for us yet. But we hope to be at that level soon. For what its worth, we're not alone in this. Most small aftermarket manufacturers like us are in the same boat. You'd have trouble finding actual tow ratings for any but those made by the largest companies. But like I said we hope to be at that level before too long, and until then we just want people to be well informed.

This bumper will be available without the tire carrier at a later date, once we've worked through all of the initial orders for it with the tire carrier. I won't have a price for it until then. But if what you want is this bumper without the carrier and without the hitch, you should look at our original RockBrawler Rear Bumper without the tire carrier, which does not have an integrated hitch but allows you to use the OE one. It is essentially what you're asking for.
Aside from testing and being official. Projected tongue weight and towing capability should testing be conducted?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh yeah.....
Old 04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

So glad I waited for the brawler 2. This is exactly what I was looking for. Do you still have to drill in the frame? It also looks like the web is fixed and not removable like the original .

Sent from my bunker deep in enemy territory
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everybody has a right to their opinion and if they want a certificate, so be it. But I can appreciate the challenges of small business. I also can look at my factory receiver bolted on the rear frame member. I have a receiver D Ring mount and when I got stuck in the mud when my Jeep was new, I didn't trust my factory receiver as a recovery point. When I look at this hunk of steel, I would not hesitate to attach as it is so much more stout then the rear frame that the factory receiver is bolted to. Reminds me of the Tommy boy guarantee quote.

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shi*. That’s all it is, isn’t it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer’s sake, for your daughter’s sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

My only regret is buying the prior model 3 months ago. No better combo of art and function. Sorry I didn't have a pic of my rear...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-688340206.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	443433

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier