Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

RIPP 2012 JK Cold Air Kit

Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I checked the kit for the 2011 and it only gained 6hp. Why such on improvement on the 2012 and so little on the 3.8l.
Note please no 3.8l haters responses. Just want to know any facts from ripp as to why this may be.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Button corrected -

The 3.6 has variable valve timing allowing the cam profile to change through the RPM - the gain is steeper through the RPM as a result because it makes better use of the added air through the entire RPM band. So it will show more gain in more RPM points as a result. The 3.8 has a standard cam profile and does not utilize the added air as effectively in NA form.. The gain it there but by percentage spread through the entire rpm band thinly... As a result the gain is less but still there..

We maintain that if you want to stay NA with your 3.8, our header and tune combo with any air filter system is the best bang for the buck and no other combo has proven otherwise on any dyno pass we have seen. The pro to our air kit is the velocity stack inside, the fact that its protected from the elements and lastly its the only CAI kit that's compatible with a snorkel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lkivkmb4ro&feature=player_embedded
RIPPTECH
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

The intake looks great. RIPP, do you know if the intake produces a lean condition and if so does the Jeeps computer automatically adjusts its timing to address that issue if there is one ? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by aldaman
The intake looks great. RIPP, do you know if the intake produces a lean condition and if so does the Jeeps computer automatically adjusts its timing to address that issue if there is one ? Thanks.
No perfect 14.7 after 5000-/+ miles on our mule - any fuel adjustments are corrected by the PCM.

RIPPTECH
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
No perfect 14.7 after 5000-/+ miles on our mule - any fuel adjustments are corrected by the PCM.

RIPPTECH
Awesome, good to know, this will be one of my top list of mods to do when my '12 JKUR arrives
Old 03-11-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Button corrected -

The 3.6 has variable valve timing allowing the cam profile to change through the RPM - the gain is steeper through the RPM as a result because it makes better use of the added air through the entire RPM band. So it will show more gain in more RPM points as a result. The 3.8 has a standard cam profile and does not utilize the added air as effectively in NA form.. The gain it there but by percentage spread through the entire rpm band thinly... As a result the gain is less but still there..

We maintain that if you want to stay NA with your 3.8, our header and tune combo with any air filter system is the best bang for the buck and no other combo has proven otherwise on any dyno pass we have seen. The pro to our air kit is the velocity stack inside, the fact that its protected from the elements and lastly its the only CAI kit that's compatible with a sno

RIPPTECH
Thanks for the technical response. That's what I was looking for. Seems like you guts have a great new product. Hoping to pick up a s/c kit when I get some funds available.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

if i send you my 2012 would you guys install a super charger in it and i can do testing on it here on the west coast. you know different weather and alot of offroading in the mountains
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Ripp,

Do you have any idea how this will affect IAT's when the weather turns warm? I pull a 3200# boat and trailer through the hills. I could use the extra power and torque, but I'm worried about detonation in the summer when the under hood temps are high. I know it's near the stock intake location, so this is just a question, not an objection.

Also, is the filter washable or replaceable? Where can I buy a spare filter?

Finally, are there any resonant frequencies at particular RPMs? I can't stand to have a long trip with a loud underhood drone the whole way.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Jim M
Ripp,

Do you have any idea how this will affect IAT's when the weather turns warm? I pull a 3200# boat and trailer through the hills. I could use the extra power and torque, but I'm worried about detonation in the summer when the under hood temps are high. I know it's near the stock intake location, so this is just a question, not an objection.

Also, is the filter washable or replaceable? Where can I buy a spare filter?

Finally, are there any resonant frequencies at particular RPMs? I can't stand to have a long trip with a loud underhood drone the whole way.
IAT's in a Jeep are the same as stock - when we monitored the IAT temps we did not see anything outside of the tuning comfort zone. If detonation does appear (these days) its fuel not IAT's.

It is a high quality washable cotton element - replacements would be available through RIPP - (on their way ).

RIPPTECH
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

have you done any dyno testing with the hood closed? IF so how did this affect the dyno numbers? I know many of the CAI for c5 vettes lose some performance with the hood closed. Just wondering if jeeps perform in a similar way.

Quick Reply: RIPP 2012 JK Cold Air Kit