Notices
The Staging Area Find out who's in your neck of the woods, discuss upcoming trail events or land-use issues and hook up with some great people to go wheeling with here. To make things easier for you, this forum has now been broken down into sub-forums that are area specific.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ITEMS FOR SALE IN THE STAGING AREAS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy coast rubicon

Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy coast rubicon

Anyone know of anyplace on the east coast that is like the rubicon ie. drive all day, camp and then drive out the next day. I would really like to find a place that I can go wheeling and camp that's not a private park.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

I'm definitely interested as well! I live in northeast Tennessee and though we have miles of trails , it's illegal to be off of the main forest road. The trails are very old and most have been blocked off or gated. I feel this is gonna be the problem with any trails on the east coast. The government has them all on lockdown :/
Old 01-14-2015, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GWNF in Virginia. Most of the eastern side of the state is the forest. You could drive for miles. The hardest trial is in the southwest part of GWNF. The name is Potts mountain jeep trail.

For parks Check out coal creek in TN. The place is huge.
Windrock Park-OHV trail riding, camping, events
There is also black Mountain in Harlan, Kentucky.
Harlan County, Kentucky - Official Web Site - Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area
Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Now I've never been to the GWNF, but other than that you're going to find that there's too much private land you'd have to cross anywhere close to the east coast, couple that with decades of off-roaders poaching and tearing up what lands used to be available that most has been closed.
I'm a mountain biker and we've run into the same issue. All it takes is a few to ruin everything for the masses.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Windrock for the win!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Haven't been to windrock but I've been to harlan several times. Lots of nice obstacles but I'm not fond of the huge drop offs on every side lol regardless that's where I'll be this weekend!

Gonna check out this GWNF
Old 01-15-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Been to windrock many times. Did rattle rock trail in 12 minutes with my old buggy. Lol. What is the GWNF?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1_rockstar
Been to windrock many times. Did rattle rock trail in 12 minutes with my old buggy. Lol. What is the GWNF?
George Washington national forest in Va. I wouldn't compare it to the Rubicon though. Rubicon looks a lot tougher from what I've seen. GFNF has some good scenery though
Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1_rockstar
George Washington National Forest (GWNF)
Old 01-15-2015, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK505
George Washington national forest in Va. I wouldn't compare it to the Rubicon though. Rubicon looks a lot tougher from what I've seen. GFNF has some good scenery though
Oh dam didn't see you post. I never made it down to potts mountain but the video that i have since looks like a great trail.
but someone could drive on fire roads without seeing anther person for about 2 to 3 days.

Quick Reply: Easy coast rubicon