Notices
The Staging Area Find out who's in your neck of the woods, discuss upcoming trail events or land-use issues and hook up with some great people to go wheeling with here. To make things easier for you, this forum has now been broken down into sub-forums that are area specific.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ITEMS FOR SALE IN THE STAGING AREAS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Lock...

Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KVJK08
I have a mesh guard in between the grille, would I still be able to unlock the hood? How big is the key?
I cut the grill mesh around my Mopar hood lock.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig
This is the only hood lock worth installing. It also eliminates any hood flutter. Just don't leave your ignition key under the hood when you close it.
Disagree. I actually think the mopar one is not as good as the Tuffy one.

Tuffy you can leave it unlocked if you choose, like taking it to the dealer or working on the engine. The Mopar one you would have to kill the engine unless you carry your spare key to quickly check something in the engine bay if you need it running. Also the the Tuffy one is half the price.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli
Disagree. I actually think the mopar one is not as good as the Tuffy one. Tuffy you can leave it unlocked if you choose, like taking it to the dealer or working on the engine. The Mopar one you would have to kill the engine unless you carry your spare key to quickly check something in the engine bay if you need it running. Also the the Tuffy one is half the price.
Having a mopar hoodlock i can confirm everything posted here about it. U have to pull the key out of ignition to unlock it every time and cannot leave it unlocked(it wont let u remove the key until back in the locked condition.). It is annoying and funny at the dealerships, they act like they have never seen thier own product! Lol.

While i am doing the 5.3 upgrade i have had to put a block plate over the latch hole to prevent the hood from re locking so i can keep key in ignition for testing circuits. Im still glad i have it. Damn thieves.

Given enough time, any of the hood locks can be defeated. They just buy u more time and effort on the thieves part. It "encourages" them to find an easier target. Thats it. If they want what u got bad enough, after enough time and damage they will get it. I want them to work for it!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by double J
I cut the grill mesh around my Mopar hood lock.
Do you mind showing me a picture of what it looks like?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disagree. I actually think the mopar one is not as good as the Tuffy one.

Tuffy you can leave it unlocked if you choose, like taking it to the dealer or working on the engine. The Mopar one you would have to kill the engine unless you carry your spare key to quickly check something in the engine bay if you need it running. Also the the Tuffy one is half the price.
For me, I didn't want the extra key, I prefer the use of the ignition key. Also tuffy lock doesn't use a cover to cover the key hole. This is bad for all the ice and dust I see. And I've never had an issue with having to stop the engine to lift the hood.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig
For me, I didn't want the extra key, I prefer the use of the ignition key. Also tuffy lock doesn't use a cover to cover the key hole. This is bad for all the ice and dust I see. And I've never had an issue with having to stop the engine to lift the hood.
Dust cover from tuffy is $7. My air compressor is in my engine bay, I wouldn't want to run it without the engine running (kill my battery) to air up my tires. I also have the under the seat drawers, so I have 3 tuffy products all keyed a like.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dust cover from tuffy is $7. My air compressor is in my engine bay, I wouldn't want to run it without the engine running (kill my battery) to air up my tires. I also have the under the seat drawers, so I have 3 tuffy products all keyed a like.
Not a big issue for me to cut the engine and pop the hood then run the engine again. I mean I know the country has an obesity / diabetic issue with all that GMO franken-food that gets dished out on a daily but it's not like your having to walk a mile from the front of your rig to your steering column.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Not a big issue for me to cut the engine and pop the hood then run the engine again. I mean I know the country has an obesity / diabetic issue with all that GMO franken-food that gets dished out on a daily but it's not like your having to walk a mile from the front of your rig to your steering column.

Couldn't agree more. People act like you can't take the key out of the lock until the hood is closed. And even if that was an issue, I have a remote start on my key.

Quick Reply: Hood Lock...