Notices
Stock Gladiator Tech The ultimate forum to get the latest news, updates, and discussions on the 2019 Jeep Gladiator.

Overland wheels/tires

Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overland wheels/tires

One of my weak points of knowledge is wheels and tires. On my other vehicles I've pretty much have just gotten replacements for the factory tires that was came on them. Now I'm thinking I'd like to spice up my Overland a bit but not too much. I'd like to get some wheels that didn't require a "lift" (I don't need it any higher), run good on the highway (low noise, good mileage, etc), but look better than the OEM's that came on it.

Part of the problem is that I really don't know much about rims/tires. I know my overland came with 18" (which I assume is the rim sizes), and kind of understand the 255 # (which I think is the "profile" or "height" of the tire), but not much else.whatsapp web 192.168.0.1 routerlogin

I would really like to know what would look good and be a good match for me, and also a little more about the numbers, etc.

If you have pictures, that would be great. I'm just looking for opinions for opinions (there are not wrong answers).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jamun99; 09-17-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There is a lot to learn about tires. Suggest you cruise some of the topics at TireRack.com and check out what intrigues you:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?tab=Tires

To cut to the quick, your Jeep should be able to fit 32" tires no problem. There are online calculators to convert that to P Metric sizing (that 255, etc number). You also don't describe your usage of the tires, which should be a critical factor in your decision-making. That is, if you're into rock crawling and want top performance, and are willing to sacrifice on-road performance (especially in snow and ice), then MTs might be best. If, however, you want the best compromise tire for trail use, but don't want to compromise highway safety (especially on wet roads), then an AT would be best. Unless you're never going "off road", then avoid any street tires.

As for those 18" rims, when driving off pavement it's usually best to air down. Generally, the rim size should be about half of your tire size, leaving plenty of sidewall to protect the rim when aired down. While the 18" (and larger rims appeal to the mall crawler crowd, they are better for larger tires--say 37' and larger. I'd recommend have 17" rims, that way if you ever decide to upgrade your brakes, you have the room (as opposed to 16", which are too small to fit larger calipers). As far as a specific recommendation, for a general purpose tire that looks aggressive and has good performance in all situations, including the snowflake rating (check out the website I linked), Goodrich KO IIs are pretty tough to beat. Another good alternative are Goodyear Duratracs, though they are a bit more prone to flats.
The following users liked this post:
dmwil (09-15-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

jamun99, welcome to the forum. Discount Tire doesn't have any local stores yet in New Jersey but you can order tire/wheel packages from Discount tire Direct and have them mounted and balanced along with free shipping to your door. You can plug in the year make and model of your Jeep on their website and it will show only wheels that will fit along with tires. Here is a link to the site:

Search for Tires or Wheels | Discount Tire Direct

There is also a lot of very helpful information on the Tips and Guide page located here:

Tips and Guide | Discount Tire Direct

PM coming your way.
The following users liked this post:
dmwil (09-15-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

You should be able to get a set tires in an 18 inch rim that will give you a look that you want. Ko2's are a good AT! Duratracks are another... there are several. You should be able to bump up to a 265... gain a slight little bit...

Quick Reply: Overland wheels/tires