Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

'07 jku. clutch and shifting gets sticky after running for a while. any ideas????

Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 jku. clutch and shifting gets sticky after running for a while. any ideas????

hey guys, lately after driving on the highway for over 20 to 30 minutes when downshifting from 6th to 5th it is very sticky and i need to push hard to get it into the gear. the longer i drive or have the car on the worse it gets and starts to spread down to the lower gears. if driving around town it just takes longer for the issue to occur. i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and knew how to fix it or had any ideas what i could be. it does not slip out of gear though and shifts fine until the car has been running for a while. thanks for the help and feedback
Old 05-30-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the original clutch? Since it's not slipping I would venture to say it's more of a slave cylinder going bad. This usually makes it difficult when shifting. I had previous problems similar to yours. Started getting difficult to downshift and eventually led to me not being able to get it into first unless the jeep was off. I would start by trying to bleed the slave cylinder. This might help alleviate the problem but if air has gotten in then it may have to be replaced. If you do replace it I would recommend replacing the clutch while you there and already have it off. Just my opinion. Hope it works out for you
Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

How hard is it to replace a clutch on a jk? I dont need one yet. But just curious
Old 05-30-2015, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your replacing the clutch you should get your flywheel resurfaced as well.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

I think it's pretty straight forward if you are use to wrenching. There is a great write up on here by a guy named NascarRubicon that gives better details. Sorry I'm not sure how to add a link but check it out.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the advice. and it is the original clutch. its got 73000 or so miles on it. i bought it with 56,000 and pretty much learned to drive stick with it and go offroading so ive def gave it a good wear
Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tribulation138
How hard is it to replace a clutch on a jk? I dont need one yet. But just curious
Replacing the clutch requires dropping the trans with the t case attached. I had to use two transmission jacks a couple weeks ago when I did it. It took me probably 12-14 hours in total on a lift. You don't need to drop the trans to replace the slave cylinder like someone else hinted to. It's external with 2 bolts and a hydraulic line.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir

Replacing the clutch requires dropping the trans with the t case attached. I had to use two transmission jacks a couple weeks ago when I did it. It took me probably 12-14 hours in total on a lift. You don't need to drop the trans to replace the slave cylinder like someone else hinted to. It's external with 2 bolts and a hydraulic line.
Hmm.. sounds like alot of work. But definitely doable. I would give myself 2 days to do it just in case.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

cool sounds good. or better atleast. hopefully get it done in 2 weeks. is it bad to drive with it? work is only like a fifteen min drive

Quick Reply: '07 jku. clutch and shifting gets sticky after running for a while. any ideas????