Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 JK oil leaks

Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine back 2 weeks ago for and oil leak I noticed when I was changing the oil. At first I thought It was the rear main, then I saw the whole left side of the engine was wet from the head gasket down. I figured due to the angle it seeped in to the bellhousing and down. Took it to the stealership and they said it was the lower intake manifold gasket leaking oil. I told them it didnt look like it was comming from there and mentioned the front cover they said nothing is wrong with it and where ever i get my info must be a bunch of moronsI guess they are mad at Jeep because thats where we get our info rightMabey they are still mad at me because they couldn't figure out why my Jeep's rpms would't go over 3200 and it would cut out on me hesitate so I found the problem and slamed the plugged solid muffler on there counter and handed them a bill for my labor and the Banks Exhaust (no more problem) By the way I just added 1/2 quart today think it might be the cover? Oh wait we dont know anything about Jeeps
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

I am new to the JK forum and I am glad I am!!

I too found out there is a timing cover leak in my JK.

I just got my JK back from a build up and had the technicians not noticed the leak I would have been in for more problems.

I am frustrated that I only have 500+ miles on my Jeep and already the oil leak issue. I am just glad it was found, I took the Jeep to my dealer and they brought up the TSB about the leak and have ordered the parts. Unfortunately, it is Christmas tomorrow and with the holidays I might not get the work done until after Jan. 01. All I can do now is admire my Jeep sitting on the driveway. Frustrating to say the least.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 1900 miles and oil leaks

I just got back from the truckhaven weekend here in socal and i did no damage to my jeep I did however pull in to Carls Jr and came out with a silver dollar sized oil spot that was dripping from my driver's side control arm. I checked the engine oil and the level is still "safe" however after I cleaned the underside from all of the mud etc., I noticed it only drips when the engine is on. Never the less, I am printing the bulletin and taking it tomorrow. I have had my Jeep for just over 3 weeks.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

My front crank seal is starting to leak. All wet at the front behind the pully.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats sucks. I dont have any leaks with 4500 miles
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

I AM STILL WAITING ON THAT DAMN TIMING COVER GASKET THEY SAY IT IS BACK ORDERED DUE TO A LARGE NUMBER OF JEEPS WITH THIS PROBLEM

I KNOW ONE OF YOU GOT MINE AND I WANT IT BACK
Old 02-03-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thought I was the only going through this. I am glad a dug through here. Just ahd to take my 07' X in after noticing oil in the drive way. Come to find out it was leaking out of the bottom of the transmission housing. The dealership is putting in the upgraded part today and hopefully will have tomorrow. This is the only major thing I have had with it, almost 40,000 miles on it.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsp
The dealer would not fix the timing cover leak. due to being out of warranty.
Better print out that TSB and then roll over to the Squealership and stick it up their @ss........
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

I noticed a small weep coming from the rear diff housing months ago, i've never had any oil actually hit the ground though. Dealership said that there was no active leak there so they couldnt do anything about it, it appears whatever they used for a seal from factory came apart a little bit (obviosuly not a gasket, some sort of silicone like material). Anyone having an issue similar to that?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, am I glad I hit "search!" On Friday evening, my buddy and I had my '08 JK up on the lift to make sure all of my recently installed lift kit components were tight before going wheeling yesterday (great ride, by the way). We noticed a little wetness on the side of the engine that didn't look normal, and noticed the smallest drop of oil on the bottom of the transmission. It looks like mine's leaking around the head gasket. Not a huge leak, but I was about 1/2 quart low. I only have 9,000 miles on mine. I will be printing the TSB and getting it to the dealer ASAP. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 08 JK oil leaks