Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 STOCK 2 door Serious issue after having the death wobbles i need some help please!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 STOCK 2 door Serious issue after having the death wobbles i need some help please!

I drive an stock 08' jeep wrangler x 2 door. So the DEATH WOBBLES started about a month ago only happening while I would slow down from 65mph. I was on my way to work, when I slightly drifted off the road but whereIi did there was a pretty nasty pot hole. My jeep shook so hard it snapped the steering stabilizer bracket off of the axle. I know there are steering stabilizer relocaters. Maybe some input on a brand or a hot tip would be stellar! I was just curious if I should replace anything else? With in reason of course. I don't want to spend a ton of money. Like maybe some bushings or something? the track bar seems pretty stable and not worn. I have all lifts and tools I need. Guys all the input I can get will be greatly appreciated. This is my first post and I hope to finish my profile and join the community. If I don't get to every reply I'm really sorry I'm very busy these days.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the write up section:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't short cut your diagnosis. The dealer won't be much help. Get a friend to do the steering wheel thing. Examine every "clunk" you feel. This isn't a visual thing. Take your time. It will cost you some $$. But if you are lucky you may get out without breaking the bank. Consider changing the 14mm to the 9/16 from Northridge for trackbar and other front end bolts. I also feel an alignment helped after all else was done. Remember step by step on Planman's write up AND video. Good luck. My DW episodes scared me to death and I was still white knuckled after it was fixed, since the dealer kept saying "it's all set now" WRONG my goal now, find and fix before it happens again.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

mind the pot holes, they break things at highway speeds!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

What exactly is the death wobble? I had a TJ and now a 12 JK Sport both of them have been pretty much stock accept for some bigger tires. What causes this?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOGMANINPA
What exactly is the death wobble? I had a TJ and now a 12 JK Sport both of them have been pretty much stock accept for some bigger tires. What causes this?

Thanks,

Peter
It's a oscillation of the front suspension due to worn out parts and the design of the front suspension.

Planman has an excellent write up on diagnosing what is worn out.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

My stock 09 JK (23K miles on odometer, minimal offroad) had it's first death wobble experience a couple of weeks ago. It happened on an freeway exit, hit a slight bump at 65 mph and the wobble began. It didn't stop until vehicle speed was below 5 mph.

After the event:

Steering Stabilizer was damaged (Leaking oil, no damping)
Drag Link End at Pitman arm has 1/8" up/down play
Drag Link End at Passenger Side Steering Knuckle? has 1/8" up/down play
Tie Rod End on Drivers Side has 1/8" up/down play

I'm kind of disappointed that this happened with so few miles.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Strat, had the same exact thing happen to me.
Replaced drag link with the synergy one,
new ball joints and an
adjustable trackbar.
All had 1/8th movement or greater at around 32,000 miles.
Seems those parts wore out way too fast. Had 35 inch tires on for about 5,000 miles.
So far so good!

Good luck mosandman86 and hope you find the cause!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Well maybe we can summon the Planman himself... I just got from underneath my 08 JKU with 33s and I've never had the deathwobble by definition but when i had spacers on my speed shimmy was terrible (probably just as bad as a deathwobble). So i ditched those cheap a$$ spacers and all was good for the most part. Nowadays i have a little shimmy right under 60 mphs.

I did a very VERY quick preliminary deathwobble check underneath it today with the stabilizer off and found that all of my ends seem to have a slight up and down movement (with the large pliers). And by slight at the very most less than 1/8 of an inch. But when I had my girlfriend in it shifting the steering wheel i had the most clunking only in the track bar. There I could watch it the end that met the Pittman arm shift up and down in the cycle and felt it somewhat as well in the side that met the knuckle. The tires that i have on now are getting near their end with expectedly 10k miles left in them. My stepdad likes to point fingers at them but I can't help but to try to test every possibility.

I may be worrying too much for I head all warnings and this is my first newish vehicle that i want to make it last. Oh, and btw I didn't mention every penny i get goes towards food and bills while I'm at school in Blacksburg. Sorry if this is too much of a highjack!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mosandman86
I drive an stock Maybe some input on a brand or a hot tip would be stellar! I was just curious if I should replace anything else? With in reason of course. I don't want to spend a ton of money. Like maybe some bushings or something? the track bar seems pretty stable and not worn. I have all lifts and tools I need. Guys all the input I can get will be greatly appreciated. This is my first post and I hope to finish my profile and join the community. If I don't get to every reply I'm really sorry I'm very busy these days.
I would start with the track bar......replace that old thing its been the demise of many good handling jeeps! Next I would check your ball joints......usually death wobble is not just one thing.......its a thing that exacerbates another worn out point that gets the wobble started and so you need to look over the entire system. Just because you cant shake something and see that its loose on the ground doesnt mean that at 65mph, it is just as stable. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-15-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

also dont discount the Tires may play a factor.. on my TJ's when I would approach little less than 1/4" tread left on the tires .U usally around 60k miles I would get the shimmies really bad.. esp if I hit a bump around 60 MPH or so... of course with that tread it was time for new tires anyway.. seems new tires would cure it every time.. not sure if the way worn tires hit the ground is different and attributes to it or not.. but i dont think the front of our JK's is much different than the TJ.

-Christopher

Quick Reply: 08 STOCK 2 door Serious issue after having the death wobbles i need some help please!