Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'12 JK 2dr - what is this bolt hole?

Old 02-07-2016, 03:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 JK 2dr - what is this bolt hole?

Recently purchased a 12 2dr and as I try to learn all I can I have noticed a threaded bolt hole on both front seats that I can't find any info on. It's surely not a big deal but ID'ing it would help me learn (and help me ensure the previous owner did not remove some silly, critical safety feature LOL)

I haven't measured the hole or threading but you experts probably don't need that info. Pics can hopefully show location and relative size.

Thanks!

(I'm using the iPhone app here - I hope the pics attach correctly to the post)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2834343489.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	636865   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3384959366.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	636866  
Old 02-07-2016, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Just to clarify the 2nd pic, the hole in question is on/through the metal tab between the seat recline handle and the seat height adjust handle.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol that is where your seat belt lower is suppose to attach to
Old 02-07-2016, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Well I did say I was concerned with possible safety gear, haha!

But here's the weird part: guy at work has a 2016 2door less than a month old. Only thing he has "added" is gasoline, ha! And his appears identical to mine.

Nothing in those holes, nothing appears loose/dangling/disconnected.

Still curious. I checked my Quadratec catalog but the Mopar section with every single nut, bolt, and tab known to man didn't actually have a "seating" section. I'll try to google some Mopar PDFs directly.

I have speculated it's some mount point for addons/options mine (Sport) doesn't have: heated seats? Lumbar support? Any sort of electrical adjustments?
Stumped.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

I agree the pic below (item #3) looks suspiciously like exactly what you say. Still doesn't explain why my buddies brand new bone stock rolled off the dealer lot like that. Weird?

Name:	image-4287282947.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	636872  
Old 02-07-2016, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There could be a redesign or TSB because the seat belt attachment bracket does not secure tight with the bolt. There is some play once the bolt is tight to specs and rattles around sometimes.

Maybe this is Jeeps fix
Old 02-07-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

My other work buddy's 2016 Willy's JKU (about 200mi, yes we seem to be jeep crazy at work recently).

His clearly shows the lower belt mounted here.

I know my seats have been out (prior owner). I know his (16 Willy's) have not. Sill doesn't explain how my first buddy's stock new is different.

So there's a 12sport2dr, a 15sahara2dr and a 16willys4dr in this thread. Just wanting to make sure I'm not defeating some safety issue.

Name:	image-3373672679.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	598.1 KB
ID:	636892  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife's unmolested '12 4 door vs my '14 2 door.

Name:	Front Seat '12 (Medium).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	636898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Seat '14 (Medium).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	636899  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the pics!

Interesting...

My buddy w the 4dr posed the thought that since his has, um, 4 doors, that rear seat entry would not have to take the front belts into account.

I can imagine crawling into the back of a 2door with belts mounted to the seats would present an extra obstacle.

Could that be it, or could both mount points be valid (and safe) options?

PS: off topic but I'm trying to figure out the best way to talk my better half into a new 4door for herself. I mean me. I mean us, yeah, that's it...for us!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know my wife's seat has never been out. My '14 seats were out for Line-x. I took the right side one out myself and line-x removed the left side seat (I had to leave it in to drive over to their shop). I don't remember specifically if I took a picture before disassembly like I do most parts but when I reinstalled the right seat I didn't bolt it to the seat. I checked the left side to see how line-x did it and they did it the same as mine so I think that may be correct.

Your friends logic makes sense as far as back seat entry. I don't know for sure but it seems to me as long as it is secured it should be fine, whether it is to the seat or the floor. But I'm not an expert.

My wife wasn't considering a Jeep either when I was buying her a new vehicle but I convinced her to at least test drive one. She hadn't been in a Jeep since she was young and her brother had a CJ so she was expecting that kind of ride. After she drove it for a little bit the salesman had her drive it around a field behind the dealership and she was hooked. She was surprised how more refined it was than she expected and the field to her was wheeling...lol

Quick Reply: '12 JK 2dr - what is this bolt hole?