Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'12 JK 2dr - what is this bolt hole?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2dr vs 4dr

Originally Posted by OSkullivan
Recently purchased a 12 2dr and as I try to learn all I can I have noticed a threaded bolt hole on both front seats that I can't find any info on. It's surely not a big deal but ID'ing it would help me learn (and help me ensure the previous owner did not remove some silly, critical safety feature LOL)

I haven't measured the hole or threading but you experts probably don't need that info. Pics can hopefully show location and relative size.

Thanks!

(I'm using the iPhone app here - I hope the pics attach correctly to the post)
I had a 2012 2dr Sport, 2014 2dr Sport and now a 2016 JKUR. It's likely the different seatbelt mounting location between a 2dr and 4dr. In 2dr, the seat belt is not mounted to the seat whereas in the JKU, it is. I remember ordering seat covers from Marathon Seat Covers and this was a question of theirs "is the seat belt attached to the seat or frame" (or something to that effect). Oh, I did keep my 2014 seat covers to try to use in the 2016 JKUR, but they didn't work due to the seat belt bolting location.

It's doubtful jeep would make 2 different seats or fixtures between the 2dr and 4dr as it would incur extra costs for them. Instead they make the same seat and fixtures, but utilize different holes.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

I think with help from here and a few visuals of my own that I'm pretty comfortable that you're right. I'm ok with it now. I don't think anything safety related is amiss.

Thanks to all for the help and ideas and pics and ponderings.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely makes sense that it would be the belt mount location for a four door since you wouldn't want to subject folks to crawling under the belt to get in on a two door. My '13 two door is the same.

Last edited by Its-a-JK; 02-08-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Definitely makes sense that it would be the belt mount location for a four door since you would want to subject folks to crawling under the belt to get in on a two door. My 13' two is the same.
Exactly. Thanks for an additional opinion and data point. Makes sense.

Quick Reply: '12 JK 2dr - what is this bolt hole?