Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

17x8.5 rims on 2015 Rubicon hard rock

Old 10-28-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17x8.5 rims on 2015 Rubicon hard rock

Hi all i am new to the forum and new to jeeps. i just purchased a 2015 Rubicon hard rock. And let me start out with i love it i have already had it out in the desert doing a little light rock crawling. My plans are to do a AEV 3.5 lift and a set of 35 inch tires. My question is if i go away from the factory rims that are 17x7.5 to a 17x8.5 is there a certain brand rim that is comparable with the tire presser monitoring system or can it be made to fit almost any rim. I don want to loose that feature unless i have no other option. thanks in advance for any answers.

Last edited by thacker8394; 10-28-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the TPMS sensors that send the info can be fitted to most aftermarket rims. I bought new TPMS units when I ordered my Fuel Wheels for my 2015 JKUR (X) AKA Hard Rock. I have over 3000 miles with no problems and retained all the features.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the tire pressure sensors are mounted on the inside of the wheel at the valve stem and will basically work with any wheel.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thacker8394
Hi all i am new to the forum and new to jeeps. i just purchased a 2015 Rubicon hard rock. And let me start out with i love it i have already had it out in the desert doing a little light rock crawling. My plans are to do a AEV 3.5 lift and a set of 35 inch tires. My question is if i go away from the factory rims that are 17x7.5 to a 17x8.5 is there a certain brand rim that is comparable with the tire presser monitoring system or can it be made to fit almost any rim. I don want to loose that feature unless i have no other option. thanks in advance for any answers.
TPMS is part of the valve stem, it is compatible with any rim that takes a valve stem. I like wheels that are hubcentric because it makes they auto center themselves on the hub w/o the need of an adapter. I don't know what other brands are hubcentric, but I know AEV's are; and I know there are a couple others as well but can't remember who.

A lot of places will want to charge you a couple $ per wheel for a rebuild kit to replace the seals on the valve stem or TPMS rebuild fee.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spicoli
TPMS is part of the valve stem, it is compatible with any rim that takes a valve stem. I like wheels that are hubcentric because it makes they auto center themselves on the hub w/o the need of an adapter. I don't know what other brands are hubcentric, but I know AEV's are; and I know there are a couple others as well but can't remember who. A lot of places will want to charge you a couple $ per wheel for a rebuild kit to replace the seals on the valve stem or TPMS rebuild fee.
AEV moved away from hubcentric about a year ago when Jeep loosened its own wheel manufacturing tolerances. (Dave posted this on AEV's forums.) Rugged Ridge still advertises hubcentric wheels, though it's not a huge deal.

To the OP, your TPMS sensors will transfer to any wheel, no worries. :-)
Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

I had mine transferred from the stock 17x7.5 to a 18x9 rim and no issues at all. 6k miles later.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Even if you end up with rims that will not accept the sensors, the shop can always band them inside. Or just grab a procal and turn the system off.

Quick Reply: 17x8.5 rims on 2015 Rubicon hard rock