Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

18/60 Springs... What shocks?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
The problem u have is u made an ASSUMPTION that the shocks are tied to the springs. Those springs can be had on all models depending on hard top vs soft top vs towing package on unlimited. The shocks ARE tied to model. Rubicon shocks for rubi, basic shocks for others standard. If buying shocks new-go with aftermarket solutions. They are improved in every way. The stock shocks dont live long from my experiences. I went thru several in less than 40k miles.
Not trying to be a d**k but doesn't it make sense that stiffer springs 18/60's would have different shocks than I don't know what the lowest # is 14/56 ( if that's a thing)? Anyway, let's say Rubicon. If anyone had a JKU Rubi with 18/60 springs. What is the factory shock #?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
Not trying to be a d**k but doesn't it make sense that stiffer springs 18/60's would have different shocks than I don't know what the lowest # is 14/56 ( if that's a thing)? Anyway, let's say Rubicon. If anyone had a JKU Rubi with 18/60 springs. What is the factory shock #?
all shocks are model specific not coil specific. ie sports can have 18/60 as can rubicons and saharas. Sports get one set of shocks regardless if they come with 14/54 coils or 19/60 2 door 4 door does not matter one set of shocks. Rubicons get one set of shocks regardless as do saharas. Maybe I am not quite understanding your question. But if I am then just because you don't like the answer does not make it the wrong answer.
for 2014 sports
sport front shocks 68087360AD
sport rear shocks 68047814AB

for 2013 rubicons.
Rubicon front shock 68087360AD
rubi rear 68087363AB

part numbers can change year to year for various reasons but sports of the same year get same shocks regardless as do rubicons and saharas.

I will stop playing now.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
Lol good decision making skills were not used in the final released version of this jeep. The bean counters got involved and messed it all up.

Chrysler can put a 700hp monster motor in a challenger and charger and the best they can accomplish on the jeep wrangler is a 3.8L or 3.6L.

I believe that chrysler fires anyone that says" wouldnt it make sense to...."

I love my jeeps body but had to toss the entire drivetrain to make it worth keeping.

And my rubi unlimited 2009 came stock with the left front spring a 18 and the right front spring a 19 and both rears were 59. Seemed odd to me.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
all shocks are model specific not coil specific. ie sports can have 18/60 as can rubicons and saharas. Sports get one set of shocks regardless if they come with 14/54 coils or 19/60 2 door 4 door does not matter one set of shocks. Rubicons get one set of shocks regardless as do saharas. Maybe I am not quite understanding your question. But if I am then just because you don't like the answer does not make it the wrong answer. for 2014 sports sport front shocks 68087360AD sport rear shocks 68047814AB for 2013 rubicons. Rubicon front shock 68087360AD rubi rear 68087363AB part numbers can change year to year for various reasons but sports of the same year get same shocks regardless as do rubicons and saharas. I will stop playing now.
Thanks for playing actually. This doesn't really make sense to me but I'll take your word for it.

I'm not a mechanic or anything but it seems specific shocks should be matched with specific springs....

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read from other posts (either on this forum or another JK forum) every Jeep coming across the end of the production line will ride at a set height for that model. So all Sports come off at same height regardless of the different weights of the jeep from configuration. With this information and the previous about each model has a certain shock associated with it then it all makes sense. However I can not say that this is completely accurate just food for thought!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what i did. Buy new jeep, through stock shocks in the garbage and buy aftermarket ones... dont look back.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Stiffer coils (higher spring rate) are put on different models due to the weight of the vehicle to keep the ride height and the suspension set up consistent throughout the whole line. The coils are doing the work and all the shock is doing is controlling rebound and compression. As long as the jeep that has proper coils for the weight of that jeep the shocks would react the same. Same stroke, same rebound, same compression. There would not be any reason to valved them different simply because of coils alone. Properly setting up a suspension involves pairing coils to the weight of each corner of the vehicle for ride height and suspension travel and you valve the shocks for the type of ride you want.

Installing higher rate factory coils does little for you except a little more ride height. You would be better off using a coil spacer as you would actually gain extra length in suspension travel vs the factory coils which are all basically the same length. The spacer would maintain the factory coil rate for the weight of your jeep and work well with the factory shocks (extensions may be needed depending on height of spacer). A higher rate on a light vehicle will result in a rougher ride and no gain in articulation over the factory set up.

Now if you have loaded up your jeep with extra weight then swapping to a higher rate factory coil makes sense as long as you are not looking for increased ride height.

Quick Reply: 18/60 Springs... What shocks?