Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Jeep 1st snow !

Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Jeep 1st snow !

Well finally the first snow of the year with my new to me JK, I have to say I am impressed how well it drives, I did not even put it into 4x4 and it plowed right through the snow, I had to check to make sure I wasn't in 4WD !!!!! , I have had a fair amount of 4x4 but this is my first Jeep and it beats them all hands down. I do have a concern and hopefully someone can shed some light on it, I turned off traction control never been a fan and I wanted to play a little, I kicked it out around a turn and to my amazement the traction control came on even though I had it off... Kind of confused about this.. Why would it do that I wasn't on the brakes so it wasn't ABS any thoughts ?????
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

On my 14 JKUR if I just press and release the button it turns it off to a certain extent but will still engage under extreme wheel spin. To turn it all the way off I either put it in 4low or press and hold the button until it goes off. I'm not sure if that can be done in 2wd though.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Check your manual about traction control. It has a couple levels. Maybe you didn't turn it all the way off. Yes, these things are great in snow, even in 2wd. Last year I drove through an unplowed giant parking lot that had 8" of fresh snow. It was as if there wasn't even any snow on the ground.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Old 11-26-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome thanks guys,, now that I tasted snow as can see what this thing can do I want some mud !
Old 11-27-2014, 03:11 AM
JK Newbie

the traction control can be turned off but the ESC (Electronic Stability Control) will stay on, it uses the ABS to keep all the wheels in line with each other. There is a mod about cutting a wire and putting it on a switch so the government doesn’t step in and ruin your fun
Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

It may not be the traction control you're feeling. Your Jeep also has ERM or electronic roll mitigation. Check your manuel. It senses when you're about to lift a wheel and compensates by braking. Ya I know, to much electronic sh*t for me but I don't believe you can turn it off. I tried to do a couple doughnuts the other day and it acted all sorts of weird.l
Old 11-27-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Strider
It may not be the traction control you're feeling. Your Jeep also has ERM or electronic roll mitigation. Check your manuel. It senses when you're about to lift a wheel and compensates by braking. Ya I know, to much electronic sh*t for me but I don't believe you can turn it off. I tried to do a couple doughnuts the other day and it acted all sorts of weird.l
Look at the chart above. ERM can be turned off on some model years. Don't know about the later JKs.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can cut a certain wire and install a switch to completely disable all systems if desired.

Check the link to my small write-up of doing this (in my signature).

Quick Reply: 1st Jeep 1st snow !