Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

1st time changing diff fluid question

Old 10-17-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My pointy bottle worked fine. None on the ground, none even on the diff cover. Maybe it was the bombshell covers that made it work. Not sure because my Jeep is lifted and I never tried to fill stock covers.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
My pointy bottle worked fine. None on the ground, none even on the diff cover. Maybe it was the bombshell covers that made it work. Not sure because my Jeep is lifted and I never tried to fill stock covers.
I have the stock ones and I cant remember exactly but there was a bunch of stuff in the way and couldn't angle the bottle enough to get a proper fill.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138
I have the stock ones and I cant remember exactly but there was a bunch of stuff in the way and couldn't angle the bottle enough to get a proper fill.
That's what happened to me too. Next time I may slightly Jack up the frame. I also have used the cheap harbor freight hand pump. It did work, but the hose blew off when doing the rear. I use the heavier weight in the rear because I tow.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, that was easy. FYI for someone who does it the first time, when you open the drain plug, it will drain about 4 inches further away than you think, and make fun mess. Kitty litter FTW
A question, the rear diff smelt burnt , and was kind of milky.... do i need to flush it or anything?. The front diff was still a nice caramel color.
Neither dif had noticeable metal shavings on the drain plug.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Milky generally means some water got in there. If it were me, I would run with the new oil you put in for a week or so, then drain and refill. That's because draining does now get it all out.

Quick Reply: 1st time changing diff fluid question