Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2 door compartment space

Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 door compartment space

im away from my jeep for a month but im going to be buying a yeti cooler that i want to fit in the back of my jeep with the seats in. can anyone tell me the dimensions of the back or what the biggest yeti size i can fit in the back with the seats.
thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 4-door. So can't really help. But, are finding them somewhere that's selling them cheap? Why not wait? If you stumbled across a deal. Let me know. I want one too! Yeti's are the BEST coolers. But so damn much money.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

As a reference, I have a two door with a powered sub in the trunk (P300-12 Rockford). It effectively eliminates my trunk for storage and just fits the depth. Dimensions at the base are 11 3/4" tapering up to 7 1/8"(width 20 3/8"). If the enclosure was square it wouldn't fit back there.

That being said, according to the Yeti website's dimensions, I would be surprised if anything more than the Tundra 35 would fit. The width is no problem, the depth is since the seat back is angled towards the door. At 16" at the top it'll be a squeeze and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Yeti 45 and a '13 2 door with the rear bench removed since day two. I've been on a couple longer trips this summer with my cooler while trying to figure out how I want everything positioned in the rear. My cooler will fit either orientation in the back with room to spare.

This was a test fit for the first longer trip I went on. I have one of those smittybilt molle things on my tailgate with the bags full of crap, if that wasn't there I could have put 2 jerry cans at the end of the cooler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NTRdeyul.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	679723

I have also loaded the back so that the cooler is easier to access and is the first thing when you open the tailgate. With my cooler there is room for about 1 1/2 of those scepter cans. This is trickier though because I tie down the cooler so it doesn't move and screws up the storage space on its sides.

I wish I would have boughten the next bigger size cooler. There is enough room in the Jeep to handle it and I could have packed more stuff and still had room for the ice needed to cool it.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Yeti 65 with the rear seat removed. Gives you an idea on how much space there is around the cooler, which is strapped, cabled locked and turn-buckled down for security purposes. I have locks as well to secure the top when I carry equipment only.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3944128051.jpg
Views:	3042
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	582472  
Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run with a YETI35 everyday in my 2dr BUT I don't have my back seat in so not much help
Old 11-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Former Member

thanks guys i think i wont be able to fit one in the back of the jeep with the back seat, oh well time to get rid of the back seats hahaha
Old 11-01-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Do you need the rear seat to be useable during travel or are you going to be unloading most of your gear at a campsite or similar? I fold my rear seat up and built a 2 piece deck to cover the trunk area and provide double the storage space for traveling.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Benm1020
im away from my jeep for a month but im going to be buying a yeti cooler that i want to fit in the back of my jeep with the seats in. can anyone tell me the dimensions of the back or what the biggest yeti size i can fit in the back with the seats. thanks
I can say 100% with out a doubt the biggest yeti that will fit behind your seat with the seat up is a roadie and it has to be on the right side because of the hump in the back door that covers the locking mechanism. I carry my Roadie with me most of the time, it is sandwiched in between the door and back seat and can't be opened or taken out unless he back door is opened.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
I can say 100% with out a doubt the biggest yeti that will fit behind your seat with the seat up is a roadie and it has to be on the right side because of the hump in the back door that covers the locking mechanism. I carry my Roadie with me most of the time, it is sandwiched in between the door and back seat and can't be opened or taken out unless he back door is opened.
That's how mine fits with the back seat in/up. It is a super tight fit, but it does go in there. Having the handle on the roadie is nice. When I have the top off, and we are out fishing, away from the jeep for extended periods I lock the cooler handle to the role bar with a bicycle lock, and with the jeep closed and locked the cooler can't be opened.

Quick Reply: 2 door compartment space