Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 door jeep and a baby?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It was actually great with the weight of the gear up on top. It really dampened the bouncy ride our Jeeps usually provide us. As far as noise. Now, this is going to sound odd. But it was actually quieter with gear up there! I have a soft top so things are pretty loud anyway but my cousin who rode with me was surprised to learn that it was quieter.

I had probably close to 250 pounds up there. I had even more inside the Jeep as well. I didn't notice a huge difference on cornering and such. I tend to take things pretty slow though since it's not a race car I don't drive it like one and haven't had any issues with weight up there. The only time I noticed it was on a very steep rocky incline. I came to a point that was very bouncy for the Jeep and so the suspension got a workout with all that weight. I just took it a bit slower on that part and things calmed down. Since then I have put a higher rate set of springs and better shocks on.

As far as fitting a car seat in mine is a 2010 and the passenger side is the only side you can get the car seat in on. My seat does not do the ejection thing. My friends 2011 does though and that would make a world of difference. To get the car seat in now I have to turn it on its side and slip it in around the roll bar up as high in the door that I can possibly get it. It is tough but only takes about 20 seconds to get it in. So really at the end of the day not an issue.

It is important to note though that our cars basically have the lowest side impact rating a car can be given. And it's true the car seat does have to go to one side or the other. Something to think about. Our cars do have though one of the the highest crash safety rating front and rear however.

The only issues I would have are these two items.
This doesn't necessarily keep me up at night but with our vehicles being just two doors in the event of a serious emergency and needing to get to the baby immediately it's actually a little bit difficult. Say in a really bad car accident somebody would actually have to get out of the jeep and move the seat forward to get back to the baby. The other item of concern I had early on is that when our babies are very young they do not have very good head control. With our jeeps being as bouncy as they can be that may be a concern. What my wife and I did was just not travel with the baby in my jeep for a period of time until she was several months old and could control her head better.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my niece's car seat in by moving and reclining one seat all the way back and the other all the way forward. I will already have a roof rack when my turn comes, so like the other posters stated, it'll make things way easier.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go for it. I have a two door and have been taking my now 18 month old son wheeling for the past year. I carry an umbrella stroller in the back no problem. It actually bunjees nicely to the hi-lift. I have a full cage with a hinged harness bar to access the back seats. Just got done running red trails at Rausch with my son either sleeping or watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the back. No need for a four door. Before anyone comments about safety, I am on smooth riding coilovers with hydro bumps, and my wife gets out with him for the sketchy stuff. Here is a pic of us out last fall for his second wheeling trip.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys. There's always my wives car we can use once in a while if need be, I just can't stand driving it. Definitely going to need a roof rack and it would be nice to have a hard top. I'll just tell my wife its for the good of the baby. Maybe I can work a lift into this some how. We'll see.

Geez, I didn't even think about the whole safety thing.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my daughter was small(er), I found that lifting out the whole seat with her in it seemed to work best. Base would stay in the Jeep. Still wasn't "easy", but it worked. One more problem was the seat handle is also supposed to fold backward and basically push up against the back of one of the front seats. Doing this gave VERY little leg room. Luckily my wife is pretty short.. but still felt a little cramped.
Now that she's front facing and is more sure on her feet, things are much easier! I still have to use some weird techniques to get her in/out, but you get used to it. Still easier with Mom to help.
I have one of those jogger strollers. Huge pain in the arse to fit in the back. Doable, but not easy. I ended up picking up one of those trailer hitch platforms, which solved that. Roof rack would be nice too, but that seems more permanent and lots more $$ (which may be a concern with a new little person).
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3005399272.png
Views:	298
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	617823

She has troubles reaching the peddles but fits just fine...

if you can read this, my Jeep is broken....

Quick Reply: 2 door jeep and a baby?