Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 door jeep and a baby?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 door jeep and a baby?

Would like to here from some people who have a 2dr and a new baby. Am I crazy to think I can make this work? Any one know if it's possible to fit a stroller behind the rear seat? Was thinking a roof rack might make things a little bit easier, could always put the baby on there if need be.😉
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Step one, do not put baby on roof rack.

Step two, remove baby from jeep during vertical climbs that require one or both axels to be locked.

Step three, do not trust the baby as a spotter

Step four, do not flat tow the stroller

Step 5, relax I see new Borns in jeeps a lot. The 2 door obviously won't be the easier a set up but I don't see it being any less safe than a four door. Congratulations on your new little jeeper.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ha ha, that was a good one. I especially like step four. Thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best response I've seen in awhile.. What I did when I had a little one was remove the back seat looked at the wife and told her no kids till they can climb into it themselves. So we use her car for all trips and outings. Saves me gas and don't have to hassle with a car seat or stroller in the jeep. But if your other is stubborn you can fit the car seat just fine sucks getting the kid in and out. The stroller will fit but just don't think you'll be able to lay it flat.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Step 6. Just go with it! Haha. I have a little one and a two door. Our stroller does fit but I have to take the wheels off to get it in the back. Now, with it being in there you cannot fit anything else. No groceries and probably not the diaper bag if your wife is like mine!! So my solution was put a roof rack on it! I went with Garvin. If your interested here is a review I've got up on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/X6p3Uu4T_vY The hardest part is actually getting the car seat in! I've got to twist it all kinds of ways to get it back in there!! Getting the baby in is a whole different story. You have to climb in from the opposite side. Yes. All the way in all while clutching your little precious. Can it be done you ask? Yes. I've done it many many times as mine is 18 months old now. It works. It is a little inconvenient but doable. I wouldn't get rid of my two door!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I waited until my little guy was in a forward-facing booster seat until I bought my 2 door. Obviously the height of the jk plus having to throw the seat forward to reach in the back for the car seat all the time is a drawback. The other thing to consider is that there is no middle seat or middle LATCH system. You are going to have to use one side or the other. So with the top down or doors off....maybe not so safe. Also the Jeep ranks low in side impact crash tests. Another thing to consider. You could do better. Could do worse. If you start with a hard top for a few years you'd probably be just fine. Then your little one will be a Jeeper for life.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Machoo
Step 6. Just go with it! Haha. I have a little one and a two door. Our stroller does fit but I have to take the wheels off to get it in the back. Now, with it being in there you cannot fit anything else. No groceries and probably not the diaper bag if your wife is like mine!! So my solution was put a roof rack on it! I went with Garvin. If your interested here is a review I've got up on YouTube. Video Link: http://youtu.be/X6p3Uu4T_vY The hardest part is actually getting the car seat in! I've got to twist it all kinds of ways to get it back in there!! Getting the baby in is a whole different story. You have to climb in from the opposite side. Yes. All the way in all while clutching your little precious. Can it be done you ask? Yes. I've done it many many times as mine is 18 months old now. It works. It is a little inconvenient but doable. I wouldn't get rid of my two door!
Awesome job on the review. I think the roof rack is going to be key for going on any kind of trip with the wife and baby.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks! Yes the rack was a very important piece of the equation for any travel. I've used it so much. Most recently some friends and I headed out into the desert for several days and carried a ton of equipment up there.

We were very excited to take a trip this summer up through Cali, Oregon, Washington, and into Canada. Bummer is that I got rear ended a couple of weekends ago and now my Jeep will likely be in the shop. Off subject I know

Bottom line is I love and use my rack. I enjoy knowing it's basically a pickup bed. Need to haul a chair? No problem. Need to haul a mattress? No problem. Need to tie your kayak up? Got it. However most of the time it's just a stroller! Haha!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am totally sold on the rack. How was it driving with all that gear up there on your long trip? Does it effect how your jeep handles much? How was the wind noise with a bunch of gear up there?

Sorry to hear about the accident, I can't stand being without my jeep even for a few days let alone a extended period of time.

I'm thinking that it might be a bit of a pain having a 2dr jeep and a baby but not enough so to consider trading it in.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on what year you have you might not be able to get a car seat in the back. My 08 was basically impossible to get a car seat back there. If I remember right in 2010, they started making ejection part again on passenger seat which makes getting a car seat in back a lot easier. I had a very well built 2dr and we just had identical twins 5 months ago, so I sold it and now have an unlimited. I can't imagine trying to have one kid, and stroller in the 2dr

My build page is in my signature to see both Jeeps if you get bored

Quick Reply: 2 door jeep and a baby?