Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Have you taken good care of your JK and experienced similar engine problems?
Yes, I have.
19.23%
Nope, knocking on wood.
80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

2007 JK Engine blown!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats right about 50k miles and the dealer says shes dead (07 so only 3/36). I am anal about my oil changes and im not the type that would miss a check engine light or an odd click or clack comming from the engine. I was pulling away from a stop light and felt an odd shift so I turned the radio down and thought to myself, man the guys car next to me sounds like shit. Unfortunatly when he pulled away from the light the sound didnt follow him it stayed with me. best I can describe it is 8-9 rattle cans shaking in unison. No check engine light, no oil warning light or any idiot light for that matter and the oil pressure was reading just fine. I called chrysler and made a claim since theres no way this should have happened. anyone else have any experiance or insight that might help?

UPDATE:::
11/15/2010
Jeep started clicking and clacking at a stop n go light. no warning lights, oil pressure gauge is fine, no other signs of any kind to indicate I may have a problem. (thinking trans at this point)

11/15/2010
shut it down immediately and had a buddy pull me a few block to my home. Where I put it in neutral and disengaged the auto trans bu putting it in neutral as well turned it over and the same noise persisted so i quickly shut er down again. (thinks to self, shit its the engine)

11/16/2010
Towed to dealer, dealer calls a few hours later and says I need new engine (out of 3/36 warranty) I ask how thats possible and what exactly is wrong. the response was do you change your oil and were not sure we just turned the engine over and based on the sound we can tell its shot. ( I am anal retentive about changing my oil, always use the most expensive synthetic and always use the same jiffy lube. I also tip well b4 the service so they take good care of my baby) dealer asked for proof of oil changes etc so I had Jiffy Lube fax me my records and faxed them to Tim (the service writer at Naperville Jeep and dodge) he said with these records you really should call Chrysler and see what they can do for you.

11/17/2010
Called Chrysler and opened case as all my maintenance has been timely and well documented. Also started my search for others with my problem to see if there's any common factors or indicators of a defect.

11/17/2010
Many similar cases found so I have begun organizing cases and looking for clues and similarities.
1. So far most of the cases I've found have one common factor that may or may not be related. Synthetic oil, and yes I used synthetic as well.
2. There are many references to 07 and 08 JK's that after inspection found incorrectly assembled engines but more research is needed to fully understand this.
3. There is a TSB referring to extremely high oil consumption by this engine, possibly related? Link to TSB
4. There are many posts related to spun engine bearings and based on THIS VIDEO the sound is very similar. The person who posted this video said the following witch gives me a ray of hope "I did call Chrysler Customer Assistance Group and they were able to help me out a lot though. I had to pay a $500 goodwill fee but it was nothing compared to what the total repair would have run, which was nearly $4,000. I have to give kudos to Chrysler for helping cover the costs of this repair despite being outside warranty!" (he was at 45k miles in this video)

11/18/2010
Called dealer and gave him my case number and let him know where I'm at so far with chrysler. The service writer was the one who told me to take my case to them to begin with and said this wasn't the first time he has seen this.

11/18/2010
Chrysler case manager called me and asked me to be more specific on what was damaged and I explained the extent of the inspection and that all I was told was the engine needed to be replaced. she requested authorization to do an engine tare down to find the exact problem to witch I responded that if I dont get any assistance with costs I doubt I could cover even the tare down cost. she responded by telling me that my vehicle was out of warranty and that the best i could hope for was partial assistance. I informed her that I researched this problem on the internet and found that others were claiming to have found improperly assembled engines and I wanted to know if that was found to be the case is my best case scenario still partial assistance to which she responded no if the engine was built incorrectly it would and should be taken care of for you. I am worried that if they tare it down that even if they find proof of a manufacturing error that it may not be documented properly and shared with me. I was told that she would proceed by calling the service department and asking them to give further information on the cause of the engine failure.

11/18/2010
Added a poll to see how many out there have had a similar issue.

11/18/2010
ok so I always thought i had a 3 year 36k mile power train warenty but based on this doc it appears i have a lifetime warranty? anyone have any knowledge of this? I called the dealer Tim says no its 3/36...

11/18/2010
Called Chrysler to find out about warranty and got passed to 3 people b4 getting my case manager who claimed she was unaware of any extension. I had to have her go to jeep.com click on "for owners" then click on "Warranty Coverage Booklets" choose 2007 from a dropdown then choose "wrangler" from the next dropdown. wait what this... a check box apears that says "If your purchase date is on or after 7/26/2007, select this box." mine was so i told her to check the box and as soon as you do a window shows up that says "LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY" after walking her threw all this she quickly as if she had this response in her back pocket says well sir we dont have you listed as the original owner. I am the original owner I say and she requests proof.

Links to very similar cases resembling my issue.
http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124479
http://answers.edmunds.com/question-Anyone-oil-problems-2007-Jeep-Wrangler-3200-miles-oil-change-Jeep-No-oil-leak-103984.aspx
http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/cartalk/posts/list/2139210.page
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2007-wrangler-engine-noise-45260.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyC2kmlg8aE

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!
Just got the Jeep back today. Total cost $0.00. Current warranty status is lifetime power-train!

I just want to say that Tim the service writer from Naperville dodge / Jeep was outstanding. Very communicative, and when he said something would be done by a specific date or time it always was. Obviously the outcome was what I had hoped for but outcome aside Tim was by far the best service writer I have ever dealt with I highly recommend Naperville Jeep for service and I can also say my next jeep will almost definitely come from there sales department!

Lesson learned, do your own research and though I don't think anyone intended to give me bad or incorrect information double check everything. Tim just looked up my vin and Chrysler's system said 3/36 warranty expired so I dont put that on him at all but had I never looked into it I would have had to shell out 6 grand to fix my jeep because of a "glitch" that had me somehow listed as the second owner of my JK. once that was resolved Chrysler updated there system and Tim promptly took care of me and my JK.

I am very satisfied and am once again comfortable and confident saying I will own a wrangler till the state decides im to old to drive!

Last edited by humdezign; 12-06-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Please no direct links to non-sponsor and no links to other jeep related forums. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Think positive, think Hemi upgrade!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh boy...another in such short time? What you're describing sounds an awful lot like a thrown bearing, and you're not the only one here.
When the first few threads started popping up on this subject I must admit I didn't become too concerned believing it to be isolated circumstances...but this is a few to many now to brush aside.
There has been discussion of inadequate oiling to some of the bearings...poor design? Faulty assembly? I'm not sure.
What's the count at now for this failure?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

What did the dealer see to make them say it's dead?

Some people have had partial settlements from Chrysler on engines after warranty, so keep the communication with them civil.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
so keep the communication with them civil.
X100 Chrysler tends to not give a damn about their customers! Keep your cool, Im sorry it happened but see what they will do for you.

There are a lot of 3.8's floating around out there so if it comes down to it you can get them for cheap.. or if its possible upgrade to a 2011..

Sucks to see this happen again....
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure that when the motor's pulled down for investigation, the piston assembly is examined very carefully and the results documented with detailed photos.

As others have already mentioned, incorrect assembly on the production line has resulted in pistons on JKs been found to have compression rings installed incorrectly with the gaps all lined up, oil expander rings installed upside down, and even pistons attached to conrods completely the wrong way, resulting in a reversal of the oil flow away from the thrust direction of the cylinder.

Even out of warranty, Chrysler has been known to come to the party with up to 50% of the repair/replacement costs covered when blatent faults in the manufacturing process have been highlighted, however as also previously mentioned keep it civil as legally they don't have to help. A member on my local Jeep forum had a spun bearing out of warranty and Chrysler initially offered to cover the costs in a 50/50 split. He wasn't happy with this and wanted all the costs covered and made his strong opinions of Chrysler's offer known publicly; Chrysler immediately withdrew their offer and now he's up for the cost of the full repair.

Last edited by JKlad; 11-17-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine's an '08, so I have the lifetime powertrain, but I'm genuinely concerned that Chrysler would toss some nonsense BS should my engine be another one of the unlucky ones.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is very concerning to me.
I have an '07 and have heard the "mysterious rattle" on occasion during acceleration.

I seriously cannot afford a new freakin engine.

Is there something I can do to check it?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Mine's an '08, so I have the lifetime powertrain, but I'm genuinely concerned that Chrysler would toss some nonsense BS should my engine be another one of the unlucky ones.
I have lifetime warranty as well. I have the dealer do EVERY oil change at 3K miles ... They only charge $17.95 so that isn't bad. That way there is NO question that the engine was taken care of.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmhines
I have lifetime warranty as well. I have the dealer do EVERY oil change at 3K miles ... They only charge $17.95 so that isn't bad. That way there is NO question that the engine was taken care of.
Wow $17.95 for an oil change! At a dealer as well. I think I can get the filter for that price.

Quick Reply: 2007 JK Engine blown!!!