Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 NSG370 Manual Transmission noise

Old 07-17-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 NSG370 Manual Transmission noise

Hey Everyone!

I'll try to make this short.
Since I bought the Jeep in December I've had some noise coming from what seems like the transmission while accelerating.
It sounds almost as if the trans if running with now fluid, which I know isn't the case because I replaced it myself.
It's making what can only be described as a gear noise, you can hear the gears spinning basically. This happens in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th. somehow 1st and 5th gear make no noise.
Off the throttle, no noise at all. gently ease on the throttle and you can hear the gears starting to spin up, the higher the RPM, the worse the noise.

This is a very hard thing to explain so I'm doing my best, but I will include a video.

Previously:
TOB seized, destroyed slave cylinder. I had the dealer replace all the parts including clutch and everything.
Great. Right? No. Now the noise is getting worse.

Someone please tell me you've seen this issue, heard this noise, or have any idea what it might be! I'm so confused and taking it back to the dealer, they refused to do anything under warranty of the last repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkB...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue with my tran. But I do have 150000 miles in my 08
Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

My 2007 is on its second NSG370. I had a problem with the original transmission popping out of gear. it got worse and worse...and it made a similar noise to the one you are describing. The new transmission is from a 2009 with less than 10,000kms on it. makes the same noise in 1st, 2nd, and 4th. doesn't pop out of gear (yet), but here's what I think...
MY NEXT JEEP WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC...this transmission is TERRIBLE!!!

p.s. I had a 2005 TJ with the same tranny. It cratered as well.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Oatz328
My 2007 is on its second NSG370. I had a problem with the original transmission popping out of gear. it got worse and worse...and it made a similar noise to the one you are describing. The new transmission is from a 2009 with less than 10,000kms on it. makes the same noise in 1st, 2nd, and 4th. doesn't pop out of gear (yet), but here's what I think...
MY NEXT JEEP WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC...this transmission is TERRIBLE!!!

p.s. I had a 2005 TJ with the same tranny. It cratered as well.
Requires a new transmission mount.
Transmission is fine and works well. Sucks so many people thinking their jeep is ruined when it just requires a new $70 part.
You stall your engine, it wears your mounts. Simple.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Source of gear rattle in manual transmission of all JK jeep except for the Sahara mod

The early manual transmission JK Saharas (I own a 2007) came from the factory with a Dual Mass Flywheel. This flywheel would dampen the engine combustion impulses that would other wise cause the rattling of the gears in the transmission. 5th gear would be quieter than the other gears because it is "high gear".
In the factory repair CD that I have, it shows both the standard and the dual mass flywheels. I guess because it's much higher priced than the standard flywheel Jeep stopped the inventory stockIng of it years ago. A long-time Jeep mechanic I spoke to said there is a part number in the parts list data base for the dual mass flywheel but it's locked out.
I've searched the internet for a dual mass flywheel but have been unsuccessful in finding one for the 3.8L JK.
​​​​
Old 09-08-2023, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Just put Amsoil synchromesh oil in and it will shutup. Plus it is just over half the price of the Mopar crap. When I gutted my 2008 manual 3.8 to put the V8 in the flywheel was not dual mass.

Quick Reply: 2008 NSG370 Manual Transmission noise