Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2009 Front Passenger Seat Play

Old 12-06-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2009 Front Passenger Seat Play

I have a 2009 Wrangler X. The passenger seat suddenly started having significant play in the seat when you sit against it. The back of the seat is locking, but for some reason has play. The gears seem engaged, but it's definitely noticeable. If you push against the front of the drivers seat, it's solid with no play.

Anyone have any seat experience? Not sure who to take something like that to if I cant figure it out. Upholstery shop? Sure dont want to take it to the stealership and pay out the tail end.

Any suggestions would be great. I have no seat repair experience!

Thanks
Old 12-07-2016, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I disassembled those front seats to install leather a few years back. There's nothing magical about them. There are two bolts on each side that hold the back of the seat to the bottom. It sounds like that might be where it's loose. In order to verify, you'd need to pull the seat from the jeep by removing the 4 bolts that hold it to the floorboard, removing the seatbelt, and then wrangling it out the door. It's just a little cumbersome if nothing else. That is the only place I can think of that would produce some play in the back of the seat. Have you owned that jeep since brand new, or is there a chance a previous owner might have messed with the seats?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response. 2nd owner. Bought from a friend who worked on nothing. Everything was done at dealer, including oil changes. It was fine for a while and all the sudden it started giving when passenger sits in it. Feels like gears arent meshing but it does lock, just wont stay where you want it in a couple positions without feeling like its moving back.

Looks like thats the weekend project. Will pull apart and see if I can figure it out.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

hmmmm, you might have a bigger issue then if you think it's gear related. You can separate the back of the seat from the bottom of the seat easily by removing 4 bolts. This does not impact the recline gearing at all, and I THINK that part is built in to the bottom of the seat, and is actually what the back of the seat bolts up to. I was curious if a previous owner might have messed with some stuff as I had a little snafu when I installed my leather (long story) that made me see how you could possibly have some play there, but your issue sounds a little more related to the gears for reclining. Considering it is your passenger seat, you can at least pull it out, have a good look, and still be able to drive it! Little harder when the issue is with your driver's seat.

Quick Reply: 2009 Front Passenger Seat Play