Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2009 manual 2 door accelerating on its own?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 manual 2 door accelerating on its own?

so maybe this is completely normal but it's something i have never expierenced in any manual car i've owned. i let off the clutch and push the gas to start moving, but then i let off the gas cause i have a lot of speed bumps and kids in the apartment complex. but then it just starts accelerating on it's own to like it's own comfortable speed in 1st gear. even when i press down the brakes to almost a complete stop all while in 1st gear and as soon as i let off the gas it speeds up on it's own again without touching the gas pedal at all and then when i finally do shift in to 2nd it does the same thing but not as bad. is this normal?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slctid
so maybe this is completely normal but it's something i have never expierenced in any manual car i've owned. i let off the clutch and push the gas to start moving, but then i let off the gas cause i have a lot of speed bumps and kids in the apartment complex. but then it just starts accelerating on it's own to like it's own comfortable speed in 1st gear. even when i press down the brakes to almost a complete stop all while in 1st gear and as soon as i let off the gas it speeds up on it's own again without touching the gas pedal at all and then when i finally do shift in to 2nd it does the same thing but not as bad. is this normal?
What are you doing with the Clutch in these situations are you completely off or do you have it in, or are you riding it? If it is up, foot off the clutch, the engine should be pushing you along at some speed, how fast would obviously be not much more than a crawl, are you saying that the jeep is continually accelerating, or just going fast than you'd like when you are feet off the pedals?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by agentjohnson
What are you doing with the Clutch in these situations are you completely off or do you have it in, or are you riding it? If it is up, foot off the clutch, the engine should be pushing you along at some speed, how fast would obviously be not much more than a crawl, are you saying that the jeep is continually accelerating, or just going fast than you'd like when you are feet off the pedals?
yeah my foot is completely off the clutch in these situations. it accelerates to a faster speed than i want so i have to hold on the brakes sometimes, but it doesn't keep accelerating. just up to like 10 mph. i've just thought it's weird cause i can come to almost a complete with my foot completely off the clutch and as soon as i let off the brake it'll speed itself up to that crawling speed.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

The vehicle will want to travel at the speed that matches the engines idle. When you press the brake, you are bogging the engine down to an RPM that is below its idle.

This is perfectly normal.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Mine does this noticeably when its first started and still in its "warm up" phase, where the idle is higher than normal. its completely normal behavior like Stuka says, as its just trying to get to the idle speed.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ I agree with the others. Sounds like you're trying to drive your car slower than its crawl speed, which is the minimum speed necessary when you engage 1st gear to maintain engine idle and still move the wheels. If you want to travel below that speed, you need to engage the clutch and brake, or coast, and then let it out when you want to get going under power again.

An automatic transmission is able to slip along at very slow speeds because of how fluid pressure works in the torque converter. It can maintain fluid pressure to let the engine idle and allow the car to be pushed along very slowly. That's why the engine doesn't die when you brake to a stop, but why the car starts pulling along as soon as you let off the brake while the car is in gear.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

awesome. glad to know it's normal, but probably not the best idea to be letting it drop that low without having the clutch in or in neutral. thanks for the responses everyone.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, it's the drive by wire and crawl feature combined on the manual transmission. It's great off road and once you get used to it, it's awesome in creeping traffic. You won't have to feather the clutch, just let it do its thing.

Quick Reply: 2009 manual 2 door accelerating on its own?