Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 2dr 6sp strange smell

Old 08-28-2015, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the new manual transmissions were filled with aft. I very well could be wrong. I always thought they were filled with something like diff fluid. And I know that terrible smell.

I have turned off all a/c and blowers. I can smell it in the cabin. I can really smell it with the doors and top off. I also got under there and looked at all the hoses and anything else that could leak. I didn't really see much. The front of the passenger head that got replaced had some dirt build-up. It looked like some oil was spilled and it's just been collecting dirt. It's not wet.

In all honesty the day I picked it up I saw the drip on my driveway and thought it could have been spilled oil sitting some where on the motor. And scouts honor, I was gentle with her the first couple weeks. But now it's time to get her fixed.

Thank you. My invisible friend Jerry says I'm not crazy either.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Olskoolkool
I was under the impression that the new manual transmissions were filled with aft. I very well could be wrong. I always thought they were filled with something like diff fluid. And I know that terrible smell.

I have turned off all a/c and blowers. I can smell it in the cabin. I can really smell it with the doors and top off. I also got under there and looked at all the hoses and anything else that could leak. I didn't really see much. The front of the passenger head that got replaced had some dirt build-up. It looked like some oil was spilled and it's just been collecting dirt. It's not wet.

In all honesty the day I picked it up I saw the drip on my driveway and thought it could have been spilled oil sitting some where on the motor. And scouts honor, I was gentle with her the first couple weeks. But now it's time to get her fixed.

Thank you. My invisible friend Jerry says I'm not crazy either.
On the 6-speed manual...From the NSG370 Wiki Page, and verified by my own swapping of the fluid, just for reference (fluid type also specified in the owner's manual for my 2012):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysl...0_transmission

The Chrysler NSG370 is a six-speed overdrive manual transmission sourced from Mercedes and built in the Stuttgart Transmission Plant.[1] It is Jeep's first six-speed manual transmission and Chrysler's second after the Dodge Viper T-56.

The NSG370 does not use standard gear oil for lubrication. This transmission utilizes bronze synchronizer collars resulting in sensitivity to lubricant make-up. Only a fluid characterized by Chrysler specification MS-9224 should be used in order to avoid premature wear or failure of internal parts as well as voiding the factory warranty.[2] Pennzoil Synchromesh is one such petroleum based lubricant.[3]

Common synthetic alternatives to the factory Mopar-branded conventional lubricant are Royal Purple's Synchromax and Red Line Oil's MTL. The synthetic alternatives often improve shifting performance while decreasing internal wear and noise. Transmissions from Jeep wranglers Length: 23.5" (I6), 24.8" (V6).
The more you know
Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super! Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: 2012 2dr 6sp strange smell