Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 air filter change: is it really suppose to be that hard?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2012 air filter change: is it really suppose to be that hard?

Having gone through some very fine dust during a recent off-road trip, I decided to pull out the filter and at least blow it out.

Taking off the 4 spring-loaded tabs from the housing did not permit removal of the lid to get at the filter. It was only after I removed two bolts from the air hose anchors to the area of the radiator that I was able to pry it open far enough to get at it.

Is this right? Am I missing some trick? I've never had a vehicle that was such a pain for the air filter. Oil filter, yes; but you expect that (at least the Wrangler makes up for that on the '12).
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You aren't missing it. I was stumped by this for a while too until the dealer told me that you must remove "those two" bolts...
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

Was going to do a "quick check" of my filter the other day. Much cursing.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

Hmmmm then I guess CAI will be in the works as soon as I find one that is CARB approved.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

i just dealt with this today. its the damndest thing. i looked like a monkey reading War and Peace for about 15 min. I was convicned i was missing a clip. nope. damn thing is bolted down on the hose. crazy. why would they do this?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 But I've seen similar set ups so I knew 4 clips were not the only obstacle to get to the filter.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
+1 But I've seen similar set ups so I knew 4 clips were not the only obstacle to get to the filter.
Had the same puzzled look until I noticed the two bolts holding the intake tube down. Removed them and then had plenty of room to remove my new 2012 stock filter to put my K&N in I stole from my '07 prior to trading it in. Lucky it was the same exact filter.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Call me cynical, but I'd bet that the 2 bolts are just a way to get the automotively-ignorant into the dealer for filter changes...
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gort
Call me cynical, but I'd bet that the 2 bolts are just a way to get the automotively-ignorant into the dealer for filter changes...
this sounds about right...
Old 08-20-2012, 04:33 AM
JTE
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gort
Or maybe to keep the engine mounted tube from rubbing on the body mounted shroud which would squeak until it rubbed through and sucked dust into your throttle body. The Banks CAI uses those mounting points as well.

Quick Reply: 2012 air filter change: is it really suppose to be that hard?