Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 battery - sudden death

Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ylojelo
2012 drove fine two days ago, came out yesterday morning and the battery is so dead it could nearly unlock the doors. I was getting on to the forum for help to find the electrical short, until I saw this at the top. Of course I never trust advanced to check my batteries, they never got it right when I had opimas. how can I test the battery, take it to sears?
A good battery should read at least 12.8 volts. If it is less than 12.6 volts then there is a very good chance your battery is bad. If it's below 12, then almost certainly is bad.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Pylot7
Most auto parts stores can load test a battery for you. Most batteries including one that won't start your car, unless dead shorted, will read 12 volts. But when you put a load on them a dead one will collapse.
Kind of true, but not really. Good batteries under no load will read at least over 12.6 volts. If it's reading 12.0 you got real problems, unless you left something on that is draining it.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed this little $5 voltmeter in my rig after experiencing the dead battery. Probably one of my favorite cheapo mods to date. The 11v is ignition on, no running engine and the 13v is engine running, ac on, lights and done light on. Not that it helps when the batt is dead but peace of mind when running lights, winch, etc. I also bought the Li-Poly battery pack that can jump your vehicle. There are three brands available. Can't recall which mine is but a good option for $125 vs. installing a second batt. Particularly when I want the genesis kit, which done right, by their recs, will run about $1g.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-446933186.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	577578   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1220917176.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	577579  
Old 09-28-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I installed this little $5 voltmeter in my rig after experiencing the dead battery. Probably one of my favorite cheapo mods to date. The 11v is ignition on, no running engine and the 13v is engine running, ac on, lights and done light on. Not that it helps when the batt is dead but peace of mind when running lights, winch, etc. I also bought the Li-Poly battery pack that can jump your vehicle. There are three brands available. Can't recall which mine is but a good option for $125 vs. installing a second batt. Particularly when I want the genesis kit, which done right, by their recs, will run about $1g.
I think your calibration must be out. Not running should be 12.6 - 12.8. When running it should read around 14.3 ish. When I had a motorhome I installed a separate digital voltmeter so I could monitor the batt levels when dry camping.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I think your calibration must be out. Not running should be 12.6 - 12.8. When running it should read around 14.3 ish. When I had a motorhome I installed a separate digital voltmeter so I could monitor the batt levels when dry camping.
it will hit 14's when driving, lights out, etc. I'm not particularly concerned for absolute accuracy, as long as I have an approximate. Which most people deal with on analog vs. digital. And, for $5, I didn't expect perfection.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 09-28-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took mine out the day I bought it. Mine is an April '12. Put the battery in my sons car and it lasted about a year. He has a Hyundai Elantra and a small alternator. The stock battery is not exactly a great battery. It is barely sufficient for getting the Jeep off the dealers lot. Add some accessories and it's gonna be a short lived part.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just lost my factory battery this evening. Cranked fine to pull out of the garage so I can put the top up. Could not get it to crank to pull back in......

I've noticed a few weak starts but never anything worrying. I would have had this one for 2 years in just over a month. I guess my plan to get a better deep cycle has advanced in schedule
Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by demp
Just lost my factory battery this evening. Cranked fine to pull out of the garage so I can put the top up. Could not get it to crank to pull back in...... I've noticed a few weak starts but never anything worrying. I would have had this one for 2 years in just over a month. I guess my plan to get a better deep cycle has advanced in schedule
I'm happy with the Walmart Maxx everstart I put in yesterday. I forget the number, but it has a nice increase in cranking amps compared to the factory battery. Price was nice and it has 3yr full replacement warranty. Just wondering, are you outside the factory warranty for the jeep? If not, wouldn't they be on the hook for replacing the battery?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad I saw this.. My 2012 JK battery died last week with No warning. $175 later, new battery. I See a pattern here.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

A friend of mine actually had the dealer replace his under warranty.

Quick Reply: 2012 battery - sudden death