Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 battery - sudden death

Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
My factory battery lasted a LONG time. I'm on my second Duralast Gold. The first lasted 1 year. They replaced it for free about this time last year. Guess what...the new one is only holding 70% of its full charge now and looks like it is crapping out after only 1 year. I'd like to put an Optima in there, but it is big $$$ vs. a free replacement. I think I'll just go with the replacement.

Which Optima would work best, should I get a wild hair and go for it? I'm seeing red tops recommended on Autozone and Optima's web site, but I'd think a yellow top would handle winching better, right?
If you run any kind of a winch, 600 cca is just weak to start with, and below what any of the winch manufactures recommend anyways.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
My factory battery lasted a LONG time. I'm on my second Duralast Gold. The first lasted 1 year. They replaced it for free about this time last year. Guess what...the new one is only holding 70% of its full charge now and looks like it is crapping out after only 1 year. I'd like to put an Optima in there, but it is big $$$ vs. a free replacement. I think I'll just go with the replacement.

Which Optima would work best, should I get a wild hair and go for it? I'm seeing red tops recommended on Autozone and Optima's web site, but I'd think a yellow top would handle winching better, right?
Just replaced my Optima Yellow top that came factory fitted on my 2007 built 2.8 CRD
Nearly 8 years old and still had 64% capacity left in it
Keeping the battery regularly fully charged and not just relying on the alternator (especially if winching is involved) is a must for longevity.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLT
Just replaced my Optima Yellow top that came factory fitted on my 2007 built 2.8 CRD
Nearly 8 years old and still had 64% capacity left in it
Keeping the battery regularly fully charged and not just relying on the alternator (especially if winching is involved) is a must for longevity.
How would you know it had 64% life remaining?
And why would you replace a battery that you say is good for 5 more years?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah there must be a self destroy in the battery! my 2012 just flipped 50k and it died suddenly, no warning no nothing. i drove to a park and came out to a dead battery. no lights left on or anything. it was so dead a running corolla was unable to jump start me. my tip in replacing the battery slide the evap canister off .

Quick Reply: 2012 battery - sudden death