Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara rough idle and vibrations

Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jeep JKU Sahara rough idle and vibrations

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 14400Km on the odometer. Today, when at a red light, the vehicle vibrates so hard, I can feel it on the seat, floor and steering wheel. It also does it when cruising at low RPM under slight load. (pressing the accelerator slightly)
Anyone have any idea or suggestions? I could also take it in to the dealer but I feel you guys probably know a lot too.

thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

See my answer to the post right after this one
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
did you read my thread about the backfiring maybe you have bad plugs or bad gas?
thanks Mike, my issue is quite different though. i get vibrations at idle or low RPM under slight load. I am guessing bad gas. Could be an electrical issue.
let me know what you guys think
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
did you read my thread about the backfiring maybe you have bad plugs or bad gas?
Filled up with premium gas, issue still present. The Idle speed seems too low, 600 RPM in gear or out. What could cause a low idle RPM condition?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a similar vibration on my 2012 Rubi. It was idling in my garage earlier this week and all of the sudden it started running rough and loud for several seconds. I also notice a significantly increased vibration just after starting from a complete start under low to moderate acceleration.

I'm just about to hit 3000 miles, and will probably take it in next week to use a free oil change coupon from the dealer. Will have them look at it then.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the same issue, it's happened twice. I'm definitely interested in more information about this. First one was at less than 1000 miles, second was just under 2000 miles on the clock.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HogHoden
I noticed a similar vibration on my 2012 Rubi. It was idling in my garage earlier this week and all of the sudden it started running rough and loud for several seconds. I also notice a significantly increased vibration just after starting from a complete start under low to moderate acceleration.

I'm just about to hit 3000 miles, and will probably take it in next week to use a free oil change coupon from the dealer. Will have them look at it then.
I brought it to the dealer to diagnose. They had a TSB on this problem description. TSB says: remove serpentine belt and test for vibration. If vibration is gone, check water pump. I have a bad water pump. No big deal you say? No parts available to service my JK. 2012 JK grounded for 3 weeks because Chrysler has no parts to service it. I escalated it to Chrysler Canada who is looking into it.

I the meantime, if you guys can get me a water pump, I would gladly install it myself. Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default update: Not the water pump

Originally Posted by mbargetzi
I brought it to the dealer to diagnose. They had a TSB on this problem description. TSB says: remove serpentine belt and test for vibration. If vibration is gone, check water pump. I have a bad water pump. No big deal you say? No parts available to service my JK. 2012 JK grounded for 3 weeks because Chrysler has no parts to service it. I escalated it to Chrysler Canada who is looking into it.

I the meantime, if you guys can get me a water pump, I would gladly install it myself. Thanks

The dealer replaced the water pump. That didn't fix it. Now they are tearing into my brand new Jeep JKU trying to source the root cause. Chrysler Engineers are feeding them clues, but after a week now, the JK vibrates on.
They have checked everything from water pump, pulley, steering pump...everything attached to the serpentine belt. They replaced one of the engine mounts...with no avail.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbargetzi
The dealer replaced the water pump. That didn't fix it. Now they are tearing into my brand new Jeep JKU trying to source the root cause. Chrysler Engineers are feeding them clues, but after a week now, the JK vibrates on.
They have checked everything from water pump, pulley, steering pump...everything attached to the serpentine belt. They replaced one of the engine mounts...with no avail.
Not good. I have an service appt setup for next Friday to get mine checked. Let us know if you find out anything else. Hopefully they will have your figured out so they don't have to dismantle mine as well...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default Is was the transmission mount.

Originally Posted by HogHoden
Not good. I have an service appt setup for next Friday to get mine checked. Let us know if you find out anything else. Hopefully they will have your figured out so they don't have to dismantle mine as well...
One of the members on here suggested it was a transmission mount. Well, he was right. I conveyed that information to the dealer whom dismissed it. 2 weeks into their troubleshooting, they realized it was the transmission mount. My Jeep is awesome again...

thank you everyone for your input. I am sharing the resolution with all in the hopes to avoid the trouble I had. Further to that, Chrysler Canada stepped up to the plate and paid for a rental. Kudos to Chrysler.

Quick Reply: 2012 Jeep JKU Sahara rough idle and vibrations