Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JKU Sport Stalled While Driving

Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU Sport Stalled While Driving

Hey folks, I could really use some help.

My 2012 JKU stalled out while I was driving. It happened to stall at a traffic light, luckily. Once it stalled, I was not able to start it back up. It appears it died for no reason at all.

It cranked strongly, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I manages to push my Jeep to a shop across the street from where I stalled...with some help from a mechanic and a police officer. We tried a couple things: OBD2 check showed that Jeep didn't throw any codes, pulled the battery terminal to reset which didn't do anything, can hear fuel pump whurrr.

Hoping that this may be a power train issue I had my Jeep towed to a dealership. Unfortunately, they can't even diagnose the problem immediately since they are swamped. They told me it may be a week before they can look at it....ugh.

So has anyone experienced this issue? Need some suggestions as to what could possibly cause this.

My Wrangler is a 2012 JKU Sport, manual, has 55,000 miles on it, has Air raid CAI, 285/70 tires, with Superchips flashcal tuned for larger tire size.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Reboot & Reload

Everyone and their brother hates when I suggest this.. But.. one has to realize that everything is "electrically connected" I found this out when I bud took his jeep to the shop because of a brake chirp.. all the shop did was disconnect the battery, clean the terminals and change him $140.00.. If the issue is deeper than this.. someone else should chime in here with a more detailed suggestion.. But something strikes me as odd within your Jeep's specs.. I've never run a procal or chip.. though we have been offered a chance to do so.. I've decline. I'm just wondering (based on computer glitches) if there could be an issue with the chip you're running.

Have you tried to remove the chip.. reset all the presets.. and return the jeep to a factory setting without all the added aftermarket computer chips products. I'm curious as to if the jeep would be any any better or start on you. hah.. my chiropractor says.. "there's a glitch in you system and we need to reboot" so I guess this applies to other devices. You reboot your computer.. why not your jeep..
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't changed out the stock battery yet in your 2012, that would be the first thing I would do. The 2012's have had battery failures with no advanced warning. They're good 1 minute, useless the next. Put an AGM battery in there if you haven't already.

Then for added insurance, do a ground connection from the negative battery post directly to the alternator bracket my 2 cents.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-29-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 AM
DJ1
Former Member

...but if it's cranking strongly with no sign of the battery/electrical systems dying off then it's definitely something else.

Clogged fuel filter
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 AM
DJ1
Former Member

bad crank sensor

You're probably going to have to run a higher level of diagnostics than what a $50 OBD reader can give you.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Superchips Flashcal plugs to OBDII to reprogram things like tire size and gear ratio, and can be unplugged. It does other cool little things as well. But I've been running this setup for probably 30k of the 55k logged on the Jeep. I also have made three round trips between DC and Dallas in that mileage/time without any problems.

I did set everything back to factory...still same result. CCA on battery is at factory recommended amps.

What really sucks is that this problem is totally electrical and not easy to pinpoint. If this happened to my 96 XJ. I could just check all fuel related parts and lines. This new hotness is not what its cracked up to be.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Also! While pushing the Jeep, I tried to pop the clutch both in first and second gear, the engine sounded like it turned once or twice and stopped...didn't even sputter.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this issue once, turned out to be the fuel pump

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU Sport Stalled While Driving