Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

larger spare tire question, it fits, but only sort of

Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default larger spare tire question, it fits, but only sort of

I put some slightly oversized tires on my JK... the spare fits on the carrier but only if turned around backwards, so it sort of sticks out a little. The tire shop said I would probably want to come up with something else. Do I have to? Whats the issue with having it backwards? I was thinking of one of those things that bolts right to the carrier and just cants the tire up a little if need be, otherwise I'd just as soon leave it as it is.

Sorry if this has been covered, my search skills may have failed me.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size tire and wheel are you using. A few companies make an extended spare tire mount to fit bigger wheels. The problem is usually weight. It can cause sagging and or separation of the tail gate.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
What size tire and wheel are you using. A few companies make an extended spare tire mount to fit bigger wheels. The problem is usually weight. It can cause sagging and or separation of the tail gate.
265/70 r16

Just very slightly bigger than OEM tires really. Maybe because it's hanging off a little more, more bouncing, pulling the gate etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the issue is that the stock spare bumpers aren't making contact with the tire, I'd recommend that you pick up some Daystar extended bumpers (they're pretty cheap). If the spare isn't supported by the bumpers, the bouncing and vibration will eventually damage the tailgate.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16053_520.htm

Last edited by 7kings; 12-23-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-23-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 7kings
If the issue is that the stock spare bumpers aren't making contact with the tire, I'd recommend that you pick up some Daystar extended bumpers (they're pretty cheap). If the spare isn't supported by the bumpers, the bouncing and vibration will eventually damage the tailgate.

Daystar KJ09144BK - Daystar Tailgate Bump Stops for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I'll check those out thanks.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRyan
I'll check those out thanks.
I had to add them when I installed my Duratracs on wheels with 3.75" bs - the spare didn't make contact with the stock bumpers and had a lot of wobble to it. The bumpers cleaned it up.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 7kings
I had to add them when I installed my Duratracs on wheels with 3.75" bs - the spare didn't make contact with the stock bumpers and had a lot of wobble to it. The bumpers cleaned it up.
Good to know, that last thing I need is this thing ripping up the tailgate for an extra inch of rubber.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Turns out it was just too wide. Trimming the existing tire stops took care of it. Now I just need a new cover for it.

If anyone wants my old tire cover (fits the stock tire, not in perfect shape anymore but better than nothing) , which someone here sent to me, it's up for grabs. Let me know. It just has "Jeep" on it.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

was going to tell you i trimmed about 1/2 in off rubber bumpers to get 265/75/16 to fit, see you already did it
Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

On another forum Jeep Engineers responded to a question of the effects of increased weight of bigger tires on the hinge mounting points. In short, don't do it. I'm going to 35s and will get a rear bumper that puts the weight on the chassis, not the rear door hinges. BTW, Engineers said they test all the structural stuff for 100,000 miles to ensure OEM structural integrity.

Quick Reply: larger spare tire question, it fits, but only sort of