Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Jeep JKU 6-speed Transmission Noise

Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth... my 2012 JKU Rubicon manual 6 speed is making a similar rattling/grinding sort of noise in the shifter... but mostly under load or while accelerating. I took it in for service and they finally told me that the problem is loose components under/around the shifter and console - nothing to do with my transmission (it shifts like a dream). The service adviser told me they were able to make the noise go away by lifting up on the console as it happened (from how he described, he drove and another service adviser pulled up on the console around the shifter/cup holder and the noise would stop).

They didn't have any TSBs but they escalated to Chrysler - they will be replacing my whole shifter/console assembly next week when the parts come in. Not sure if this is what is plaguing all of you... but just thought I'd mention it. I guess it's important to mention that they haven't replaced it yet, so only time will tell if this is the real issue. I did pick my Jeep back up for the weekend to wait for the parts and it's no longer making the noise as far as I can tell - they told me that's likely because they messed with the console enough that they probably masked the noise for now, but that it'll be back. We will see if this remedies it.

Another thing - this dealership is *notorious* for using the, "it's a Jeep it makes noises" line with me. I drove around with them until I got them to say that they heard the noise and agreed that it wasn't what a manual transmission on a vehicle with less than 9,000 miles should sound like - easier said than done, believe me. They told me at first that they couldn't reproduce the noise (even though they agreed that they heard it on the test drive) and that it must just be that I don't know how to shift/drive a manual transmission. That went over well, let me tell you.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MortuaR
For what it's worth... my 2012 JKU Rubicon manual 6 speed is making a similar rattling/grinding sort of noise in the shifter... but mostly under load or while accelerating. I took it in for service and they finally told me that the problem is loose components under/around the shifter and console - nothing to do with my transmission (it shifts like a dream). The service adviser told me they were able to make the noise go away by lifting up on the console as it happened (from how he described, he drove and another service adviser pulled up on the console around the shifter/cup holder and the noise would stop).

They didn't have any TSBs but they escalated to Chrysler - they will be replacing my whole shifter/console assembly next week when the parts come in. Not sure if this is what is plaguing all of you... but just thought I'd mention it. I guess it's important to mention that they haven't replaced it yet, so only time will tell if this is the real issue. I did pick my Jeep back up for the weekend to wait for the parts and it's no longer making the noise as far as I can tell - they told me that's likely because they messed with the console enough that they probably masked the noise for now, but that it'll be back. We will see if this remedies it.

Another thing - this dealership is *notorious* for using the, "it's a Jeep it makes noises" line with me. I drove around with them until I got them to say that they heard the noise and agreed that it wasn't what a manual transmission on a vehicle with less than 9,000 miles should sound like - easier said than done, believe me. They told me at first that they couldn't reproduce the noise (even though they agreed that they heard it on the test drive) and that it must just be that I don't know how to shift/drive a manual transmission. That went over well, let me tell you.
To be honest, I was expecting the same kind of treatment at my dealership ("it's a Jeep, so it makes noise...get over it!"), but that didn't happen at Kahlo. We'll see how this all turns out, but as things now stand my dealer is earning my business for life. I'm also impressed by Chrysler. That's the way it should be. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been having the same or close to it sound. I call it a "clacking" noise. Mine occurs when excelerating in 2nd-4th between 1.5 and 2k rpm

Reading various posts, what i am thinking the cause is, is a pin that holds the clutch fork on. If pin is not in correctly, the fork vibrates. Usually vibrates at low rpm, while excelerating.

I stopped mine completly by not shifting into a lower gear, at low rpm.

try it, see if it works. the thread i tagged about this discovery is fairly recent, so if you wish you can look through my posts to find it
Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Apostle
Been having the same or close to it sound. I call it a "clacking" noise. Mine occurs when excelerating in 2nd-4th between 1.5 and 2k rpm

Reading various posts, what i am thinking the cause is, is a pin that holds the clutch fork on. If pin is not in correctly, the fork vibrates. Usually vibrates at low rpm, while excelerating.

I stopped mine completly by not shifting into a lower gear, at low rpm.

try it, see if it works. the thread i tagged about this discovery is fairly recent, so if you wish you can look through my posts to find it
Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I continue to be the lucky one. No penastar head problem, no transmission rattle, and no "excessive" leaking.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

I have the exact same noise on my 13 JK. I currently have 1600 miles and it has made this noise since new. I was also told that the tech could not reproduce the noise.
I have also noticed that if I am rolling very slow in first gear with clutch pedal pushed in I can hear what sounds like a bad tooth on a gear. A faint muffled thump - thump - thump as I roll forward.

After I have driven about 5 miles I can push in the clutch while stopped at a light and if I rev up motor the rattling sound is very loud.
Sounds like clutch, throw out bearing, or input shaft bearing area.

As an EX mechanic the only time I had ever heard this was in a vehicle that was missing the pilot bearing (bushing) in the flywheel. ***I am not suggesting that that is what it is***

As a side note my engines power varies from very strong when cold to running like it is on 5 cylinders when warm.
I am curious if the is a knock sensor that is detecting a rattle/vibration and reducing power output.

Prior to this Jeep I have had two others (97 TJ and 01 TJ). I currently have an EXTREME love hate relationship with my new JK.
When it runs like crap I feel like driving it into a friggen tree.
When it runs like it should - all is good!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fixalot
When it runs like crap I feel like driving it into a friggen tree.
When it runs like it should - all is good!
I feel ya man... My '12 JKUR has several problems (engine ticking loudly, *loud* engine tick on startup, weird gear noises when holding clutch in and rolling like you mentioned, this random clanking/grinding/metal-on-metal noise from the stick, driver seat squeaking like mad, radio resets itself randomly, lights flicker *bad*, sunken in windshield, etc) that make me feel stupid for buying a new one. I might as well have bought an 07, because it sounds like it's at least 5 years old and wasn't maintained properly.

Side note - being my dealer was only willing to address one issue, I wrote a message on Jeep's Facebook wall. A bunch of my friends started chiming in about how this is BS... a few of them were seriously days away from buying some expensive brand new Wranglers and who are now thinking about not doing so... and Jeep actually responded to me. They messaged me on the post and also sent me a private message asking me to detail what's been going on. So I did, and now my info is being forwarded to 'Top Care' - whoever that is. Hopefully they'll make my Jeep sound like it's actually worth the $36,000 I had to pay for it.

It is really like you said - when it runs/sounds like it should, it makes you feel like everywhere you're headed is the beach. When it runs/sounds like crap, it makes you feel like you'd rather not be driving a Jeep at all. Sad place to be. The good news (trying to be optimistic here) is that we have time to bitch out the dealerships and escalate these complaints to Chrysler before we have to give up. The most irritating part is that all of these issues are making me hold off on upgrading anything that they may be able to remotely blame for all of these problems... because I know once I do, they're going to try and find any reason to not warranty my issues.

They need to understand that these vehicles might seem cheap to the fat cats running the place... but they are (at least in my world) *extremely* expensive and we really have to work our asses off to pay for them. They act as if we're buying bottom of the barrel vehicles and we should expect them to sound/act/feel like Yugos or something. Ridiculous. If they want to think the Jeep Wrangler is the upper echelon of 4x4 vehicles, they need to treat their customers like they are the upper echelon of customers as well and service our Jeeps in the same fashion. Why are we paying Lexus prices (in terms of what you are really getting for the money) but not getting Lexus service? Blows my mind.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 has done this since new as well. 7 months later it has mostly stopped. I think it may be a heat shield or something rattling around the transmission (externally). It only seems to occur at certain temperatures and most days it is very quite. Never took it in to be looked as mine isn't quite as loud as yours and I really don't like the idea of my Jeep being taken apart, and getting more rattles or issues. Be interested to see if the new trans fixes it. Keep us posted!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bloomer
So how long after you bought you new 2013 JKU did you first hear this noise? Got 66 miles on my JKUR and is sounds and runs great. Always to to hear what other are going through so you not blind sided...
Its done it since new. I notice it more on cold mornings though.

Chris
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Dropped my Jeep off lastnight and they started first thing this morning. The dealership called around 4 this afternoon, and wanted to keep it another day to run some more diagnostics today, and tomorrow. So we will see...

Chris

Quick Reply: 2013 Jeep JKU 6-speed Transmission Noise