Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2014 2 door, 6 speed with 27k

Old 08-04-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 2 door, 6 speed with 27k

My wife's DD, 2014 (100% stock) 2 door sport, JK with a 6 speed manual transmission had to be towed to the dealership today.
She said it started just fine, she drove to the store and when she came out, it started and died. This happened about 5 times and then it wouldn't start at all.
When I got to the Jeep about an hour later, I turned the key and nothing happened except the dash lights came on and the engine light stayed on.

Has anyone had this issue before? Just curious what might be.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-04-2015, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

I'd say it's the TIPM. The dealer should cover it.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

Curious to what it is. Keep us informed.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

the stock battery is only good for about 2 years. some owners get more out of them but mine died in my 2012 at exactly 2 years. depending on when you bought yours, (late 2013 to early 2014) it could be the battery. Many have gone bad the same way. good one day then dead the next. Search the forum for some common battery problems.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty14
the stock battery is only good for about 2 years. some owners get more out of them but mine died in my 2012 at exactly 2 years. depending on when you bought yours, (late 2013 to early 2014) it could be the battery. Many have gone bad the same way. good one day then dead the next. Search the forum for some common battery problems.
X2 on this. Many have experienced sudden battery death, including me. Most times around the 2-3yr mark. Do a search on here for sudden battery death.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jeep keeps dying

Originally Posted by rdkingcl01
She said it started just fine, she drove to the store and when she came out, it started and died. This happened about 5 times and then it wouldn't start at all.
If it started and died around five times(or so) as stated in the original post I highly doubt it would be the battery. If there was enough "Juice" in the battery for four or five restarts there would certainly be enough "juice" to keep it running for at least the first three or four times.

Good luck. With only 27,000 miles it should be under warranty.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 PM
kik
JK Freak

Especially in 2014, there have been problems with the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). That's most likely the problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think it was the battery. The lights on the dash were still really bright and it didn't make the clicking sound you normally hear when a battery is dead.

The dealership in Bloomington, IN hasn't had time to look into the jeep today. As soon as I hear something, I'll give an update.

I did find out that loaner/rental vehicles are only covered under an extended warranty plan and not under the normal bumper to bumper warranty. Just my luck! Now the wife is driving my super duty and I'm riding the Road King rain or shine until this thing is fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well if it wasn't the battery yet, it will be soon!
My wife started her 2012 in the morning and it started fine, stopped for coffee, came out and it started fine then died. Then dash lights went crazy. She turned the key off then tried starting it and nothing, no clicking, no lights. Its bound to happen.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Dealership called and the jeep is fixed now. They had to reprogram the computer for the key.
Once I get the paperwork tonight, I'll give a better description on what they say the problem was.
I just wonder why the computer had to be reprogrammed for the key? We have had the same keys since we bought the jeep new. Is this something that will need done again in the future? Hmmm????

JK Enthusiast

Quick Reply: 2014 2 door, 6 speed with 27k